This easy keto lava mug cake has only 5 ingredients and cooks in 1 minute! It has a gooey molten chocolate centre and it's flourless, sugar free and gluten free. 4.4g net carbs.
Table of contents
I have a wonderful low carb keto lava cake recipe on my website that we make often. The gooey molten centre is just irresistible!
But what if you just want a molten lava cake quickly, without turning on the oven? Well, you need a microwave version! This keto chocolate lava mug cake is the cheat's version of a proper lava cake.
Here's why you are going to love this easy low carb dessert:
- It has a rich and deep chocolate taste
- It is so soft and gooey with a molten chocolate centre
- You mix it with a fork
- Minimal washing up - batter is mixed directly in the mug
- Ready in 1 minute!
Microwaves cook cakes from the inside out, that's why I used a trick to achieve a molten center: I simply added a square of sugar free chocolate into the middle of the batter. During cooking, the chocolate melts!
My low carb lava mug cake tastes wonderful all on its own, or serve it with a dollop of whipped cream, sugar free ice cream or a dusting of powdered sweetener.
- Egg - large
- Cocoa powder - You can use unsweetened cocoa powder, cacao powder or Dutch process cocoa for an extra dark chocolate flavour.
- Heavy cream - That's double cream in the UK.
- Powdered sweetener - I used powdered Bocha Sweet, but any powdered sweetener works. Erythritol, xylitol, allulose, monk fruit sweetener, Splenda or Swerve - you choose.
- Sugar free chocolate - I chose a square (approximately 3x3 cm) of Planet Organic No Added Sugar chocolate, which is sweetened with erythritol. In the US, Lily's sugar free chocolate is an option. Alternatively, use a 90% dark chocolate such as Lindt.
The correct mug size
Make sure your mug or ramekin is tall enough. You need 2 fingers of space between the batter and the rim.
Mug cakes rise as they cook. You do not want the batter to overflow and make a mess! Use the images below as a guide.
How to make a keto lava mug cake
Stick to the order in which I add the ingredients - it will make mixing much easier.
In a mug or ramekin, blend together the egg and the cream with a fork.
Add one tablespoon of cocoa powder and whisk until incorporated. Then add the second tablespoon of cocoa powder and blend until smooth.
Now, stir in the powdered sweetener until no lumps remain.
Place the square of dark chocolate on top of the batter. Alternatively, use sugar free chocolate chips.
Microwave for about 1 minute until the mug cake starts to fold away from the edges and the chocolate square has melted.
Enjoy the chocolate lava cake straight from the mug while it's hot. Alternatively, turn it out onto a plate and top with sugar free chocolate syrup, whipped cream or a scoop of sugar free vanilla ice cream.
Depending on the power of your microwave, timings are going to differ. My microwave cooks at 900 Watts and 70 seconds was perfect.
If your microwave cooks at 1000W or higher, 50-60 seconds will be enough.
At 800W and lower (medium powder), the mug cake should need around 80 seconds.
For an extra gooey cake, reduce the cooking time by 10 seconds. This means the sides will be soft and fudgy as well as the chocolate centre.
Chocolate lava filling tips
My sugar free chocolate square measured 3 x 3 centimetres. For a larger molten centre, use 2 chocolate squares or 2 tablespoons of sugar free chocolate chips.
Two chocolate squares are likely to sink to the bottom of the batter. Therefore, consider placing them into the mug upright, leaning against each other like a pitched roof.
Alternatively, you could melt the chocolate separately and add it half way through cooking into the middle, once the batter has started to set.
More lava filling options: Sugar free white or milk chocolate, almond butter or peanut butter.
More keto mug cake recipes
Here is a selection of my other low carb mug cake recipes:
Tried this recipe? Give it a star rating below!
Keto Chocolate Lava Mug Cakefrom Sugar Free Londoner
Note: The servings slider only changes the first amount in each line and not any subsequent amounts. Please make your own calculations where necessary. ***As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- In a mug or ramekin, blend together the egg and the cream with a fork.
- Add one tablespoon of cocoa powder and whisk until incorporated. Then add the second tablespoon of cocoa powder and blend until smooth.
- Now, stir in the powdered sweetener until no lumps remain.
- Place the square of dark chocolate on top of the batter. Alternatively, use sugar free chocolate chips.
- Microwave for about 1 minute until the mug cake starts to fold away from the edges and the chocolate square has melted. Mine took 70 seconds (900W). Eat while warm.
- 800W: 80 seconds
- 900W: 70 seconds
- 1000W: 60 seconds
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one of these links and purchase a product, I may earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Free Londoner.