Enjoy scrumptious sugar free French toast made from scratch in just 10 minutes! This easy keto French toast recipe has an authentic flavor and texture.
But weekends are different. We take our time in the mornings and then have a proper treat for brunch. Have you tried my keto pancake recipes? These almond flour pancakes are amazing (just read the reader comments!!) and my coconut flour pancakes are out of this world fluffy.
But now I have a new passion: easy low carb French toast!
This recipe is not only delicious, but also SO easy. Because we're using my 90 second keto bread!
You make it in the microwave in, you guessed it, 90 seconds.
The bread is super soft and has large air pockets, which soak up the egg mixture like a dream.
🌟 Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Easy - Ready in 20 minutes
- Soft and chewy texture, just like traditional French toast
- Sweet, authentic flavor
- Sugar-free and keto - only 4.7g net carbs
Here's what you need for sugar free French toast:
- 90 Second Keto Bread. This contains almond flour, psyllium husk, egg white, baking powder and water.
- Almond milk
- Granulated sweetener - I used a golden erythritol monk fruit sweetener blend. Allulose also works well because it caramelises like sugar.
- Butter, for frying
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
On a nut-free diet? Replace the almond flour in the toast with 2 tablespoons coconut flour.
The egg mixture can be made richer by replacing the unsweetened almond milk with heavy cream or coconut cream for a dairy-free version.
Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract to the egg mixture for additional flavor.
Or, add a pinch of nutmeg or cardamom.
it is surprisingly easy to make keto French toast. Here are the basic steps.
For detailed instructions, scroll down to the recipe card.
Step 1: Make a thick slice of 90 second keto bread. A 5 x 5 inch container works well for this.
Note - I doubled the ingredients in the original recipe to get an extra thick slice of keto bread. The microwave time remains the same - 90 seconds.
Step 2: Stir together the egg mixture - one whisked egg and almond milk. Dunk the bread into the mix to coat from both sides.
Step 3: Sprinkle it all over with golden sweetener (I like Lakanto Golden or Sukrin Gold) and cinnamon.
Step 4: Melt butter in a nonstick pan and fry the French toast on the stovetop on both sides until golden. Serve warm.
Nut flours brown quickly. Be sure to keep the heat ov the stove low to avoid over-browning.
Traditional French toast is very high in carbs. First, there's the carbs from the white bread, plus the sugar required to make the toast taste sweet. One portion can easily contain 36g of carbs. My recipe for keto French toast has just 4.7g net carbs. I achieved this by using a keto bread and a zero carb sweetener instead of table sugar.
Simply slice the bread into sticks before soaking them in the egg mixture.
Easy! Quadruple the bread recipe. Slice the bread and butter it. Place in an oven proof dish and pour over the egg mix. Then bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes at 180 Celsius / 350 Fahrenheit until the egg is set and the top is browned.
If you don't have a square toast-sized container, you can also make the 2 batches of 90 second bread in 2 ramekins or mugs. Then slice each in half and continue, making smaller french toast.
Here are topping ideas for your keto friendly French toast:
- dust with powdered sweetener
- pour over sugar free syrup
- add a knob of butter or heavy whipping cream
- top with ¼ cup or 30 grams of berries - blueberries, raspberries, blackberries or strawberries
- douse in keto caramel sauce
- sprinkle over more golden erythritol and cinnamon
- add slivered almonds or other nuts
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Gently reheat in the microwave or in the frying pan.
More Keto Breakfast Recipes
Tried this recipe? Give it a star rating below!
Sugar Free French Toastfrom Sugar Free Londoner
Note: The servings slider only changes the first amount in each line and not any subsequent amounts. Please make your own calculations where necessary.
- Make the 90 second keto bread, but double the ingredients to make the bread thicker. For this recipe I used a 14 x 12 x 5 cm microwaveable container. Simply stir together all ingredients and microwave for 90 seconds on high.
- Prepare the egg mix. In a mixing bowl whisk the eggs and almond milk with a fork. Option to add orange zest too.
- Once the keto bread is cooled, soak in the egg mix. Mix the cinnamon and erythritol in a small bowl and sprinkle over both sides of the soaked bread.
- Melt the butter in a skillet / not stick frying pan over a medium / low heat. Fry until golden brown (about 1 - 2 minutes on each side). Keep checking it so the cinnamon doesn’t burn.
- Slice into triangles and serve with toppings of your choice.