It takes just 90 seconds to make this easy Keto English muffin recipe in the microwave. A simple, quick and delicious low carb breakfast!
These low carb English muffins are one of the first keto bread recipes on my website. I published them in 2018, and I still make them regularly today.
The brilliant thing about this recipe is that you make it in the microwave in just 90 seconds. It has a wonderfully fluffy and pillowy muffin texture.
But unlike traditional English muffins, which are made with wheat, my version is naturally gluten-free, grain free and keto-friendly.
My friends, these low carb English muffins contain just 2 grams of net carbs!
My favorite way of eating these muffins for breakfast is to toast them. Then, I spread them liberally with butter. However, sometimes I also use this recipe to make quick burger buns or sandwiches!
The ingredients for this recipe are common low carb ingredients. You might even have them in your kitchen right now.
Here is what you need:
- Almond Flour - I used extra-fine almond flour.
- Coconut Flour - This is made from dried coconut flesh.
- Butter - Melted. I recommend salted butter. You can also use unsalted butter and add a pinch of sea salt.
- Almond Milk - I like unsweetened almond milk because it is very low in carbs. But any nut milk works.
- Baking Powder - Check that the baking powder is fresh so the muffins rise well.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
It is really simple to make a keto English muffin. Here are the basic steps.
Step 1: Whisk the egg with a fork in a small mixing bowl.
Step 2: Add the melted butter and nut milk. Continue whisking with the fork until combined.
Step 3: Now add the dry ingredients - almond flour, coconut flour and baking powder. Stir until a smooth batter forms.
Step 4: Grease a ramekin with butter or oil. Then, fill the muffin batter into the ramekin. Level the top and microwave on high for 90 seconds.
Step 5: Remove the keto muffin from the ramekin. You may need to run a knife around the edges to release it onto a plate.
Step 6: Slice the English muffin in half. Serve it toasted and buttered.
Here is what you need to know to make the recipe perfectly:
#1 I melt the butter in the microwave. This takes around 30 seconds. I use the same ramekin I later cook the muffin in. Swirl the butter around to coat it everywhere.
#2 A 3.5-inch or 9-cm ramekin with a 6-ounce capacity is the perfect size for this muffin recipe. However, you can use any microwavable cup or mug with a flat bottom. The first time I made the low carb English muffins I used a mug with a diameter of 7 cm.
#3 I have made this recipe in several microwaves. 90 seconds always seems to be the perfect cooking duration. However, the muffins may need 5 seconds shorter or longer in your microwave.
- For a dairy-free English muffin, use coconut oil instead of butter.
- Use 4 tablespoons of almond flour in total if you want to omit the coconut flour.
- For a nut-free muffin, replace the almond flour with a 50 / 50 blend of sesame seed flour and sunflower seed flour.
Regular English muffins are not suitable for a low carb diet. They contain wheat flour, which is high in carbohydrates. But you can make English muffins with almond and coconut flour that taste just as good as the traditional version.
Yes. To make 2 English muffins in the microwave, increase the cooking time to 2 minutes.
Yes. Baking the muffins takes a little longer. Bake them in a preheated oven at 180 Celsius or 350 Fahrenheit for 15 minutes or until golden. If you double, triple or quadruple the recipe, increase the oven time to 18-25 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness.
Toasting makes the muffin taste so much better. Using the toaster is an essential recipe step!
If you have more time, consider toasting it in a skillet over medium heat on the stove. Fry the muffin in butter on both sides. It is delicious that way.
Or, serve it with keto scrambled eggs.
It also works great as a quick breakfast sandwich bread with savoury fillings ranging from ham and cheese to smoked salmon and cream cheese.
Store low carb English muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. I sometimes make several batches so I have bread ready for a few days in a row.
You can freeze these muffins for up to 3 months. Slice the muffins in half before freezing and toast straight from frozen.
More Keto Muffin Recipes
More Easy Keto Bread Recipes
Tried this recipe? Give it a star rating below!
Keto English Muffin Recipefrom Sugar Free Londoner
Note: The servings slider only changes the first amount in each line and not any subsequent amounts. Please make your own calculations where necessary.
- 3.5 inch ramekin (9 cm, 6 ounce capacity) or microwave-safe mug
- Whisk the egg with a fork in a small mixing bowl.
- Add the melted butter and nut milk. Continue whisking with the fork until combined.
- Now add the dry ingredients - almond flour, coconut flour and baking powder. Stir until a smooth batter forms.
- Grease a ramekin with butter or oil. Then, fill the muffin batter into the ramekin. Level the top and microwave on high for 90 seconds.
- Remove the muffin from the ramekin and turn it out onto a plate. You may need to run a knife around the edges to release it.
- Slice the English muffin in half and serve it toasted and buttered.
Optional: Oven Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350F. Instead of microwaving, bake the muffin in the oven for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.