Keto scrambled eggs are one of the most satisfying ways to start the day when you're on a keto diet. I'll show you how to make soft and creamy scrambled eggs. They are ready in 5 minutes and contain just 0.9g net carbs.
Eggs in all their variations make a wonderful easy keto breakfast. In fact, they make a great protein rich meal for any time of day.
I love them boiled, poached, fried, as an omelette, in egg white wraps, ... and especially scrambled!
When it is done right.
I used to scramble my eggs on a high heat in seconds. They were edible, but far from delicious.
That's why I created this post to show you exactly how to make a perfect keto scrambled eggs recipe.
Here is the secret: Taking your time and cooking the eggs in butter over a very low heat makes them taste 1000% better.
Medium- high or medium-low are no-no's. Low and slow cooking creates that creamy texture we all want.
For keto scrambled eggs you'll need:
- Butter - use coconut oil or light olive oil for dairy free
- Mustard - my optional secret ingredient
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
To change the flavor, add one of these optional add-ins:
- Heavy cream - 1 tablespoon
- Sour cream - 1 tablespoon
- Cheese - ¼ cup of grated cheddar or parmesan cheese. It will melt into the velvety scramble.
- Tomato paste - 1 teaspoon
- A splash of fish sauce
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Stir in crumbled bacon or diced ham
I don't recommend adding milk. It makes eggs less flavorful and take on a mushy texture.
Here are the basic steps for the recipe. Scroll down to the recipe card for detailed instructions.
Step 1: Whisk the egg and mustard in a mixing bowl.
Step 2: Melt the butter in a non stick skillet or frying pan. As soon as it is melted - and not browned - pour in the whisked egg mixture.
Step 3: Let the egg cook for 20 seconds on a low heat. Never cook eggs over medium heat!
Step 4: After 20 seconds, begin to stir with a wooden spoon or spatula. Lift and fold the egg over from the bottom of the pan. Break down any larger pieces.
Continue until the eggs are softly set and still runny in places. Take your time. Don't forget the mantra: LOW and SLOW.
Take the pan off the heat BEFORE the eggs are finished. They will continue to cook in the hot pan.
And serve immediately.
- Chopped chives
- black pepper
- truffle oil
- chili flakes
These sides work with keto scrambled eggs:
- Smoked salmon, sliced avocado and grilled cherry tomatoes on the vine
- Crunchy green salad
Here are questions I often get about eggs:
Yes. Eating eggs will not kick you out of ketosis. In fact, eggs are one of the most popular low carb breakfast choices. Their nutrition profile fits perfectly into the keto diet: one large egg contains 0.7 grams of carbs, 12 g protein and 9g fat (source: Keto Diet App).
Eggs are very nutritious. Research shows that they contain essential nutrients for the brain, muscle mass and bone health and antioxidants that protect your eyes.
People used to think that eggs contributed to high cholesterol levels.
Today we know that eggs actually increase GOOD cholesterol levels (HDL), while BAD cholesterol levels (LDL) remain unchanged - according to these studies (1, 2, 3).
Not all eggs are of the same quality. If you can afford it, choose organic large eggs or eggs from free range, pasture raised hens.
There is no difference between brown or white eggs. The colour of the shell depends on the breed of the hen.
Eating three eggs per day is considered perfectly healthy.
You can tell whether an egg is fresh by submerging it in a glass or bowl filled with water.
Fresh eggs: Egg sinks to the bottom and lies on the side.
Older, but edible eggs: Egg sinks to the bottom and stands upright.
Off - do not eat: Egg floats in the water or on the surface.
It is a ketogenic diet where you eat mainly eggs for 3 to 5 days, plus cheese and butter or a dairy-free fat source. Since it is restrictive, you will lose weight. It is controversial because there is the risk of nutritional deficiencies, especially if you follow it for longer.
More Egg Recipes
Tried this recipe? Give it a star rating below!
Keto Scrambled Eggsfrom Sugar Free Londoner
Note: The servings slider only changes the first amount in each line and not any subsequent amounts. Please make your own calculations where necessary.
- 4 eggs large
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- salt to taste
- Whisk the egg, salt and mustard in a bowl.
- Melt the butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat. As soon as it is melted - and not browned - pour in the whisked egg. Turn the heat to low.
- Let the egg set for 20 seconds. Then begin to stir with a wooden spoon or spatula. Lift and fold the egg over from the bottom of the pan. Break down any larger pieces.
- Continue until the eggs are softly set and still runny in places. Take your time!
- Take the pan off the heat just BEFORE the eggs are finished. They will continue to cook in the hot pan.
- Give them a last stir and serve immediately!
- 125g on the vine tomatoes, brushed in 1 tablespoon olive oil with a pinch of salt, grilled / broiled
- 100g sugar free smoked salmon
- 1 medium avocado (140g flesh only)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
- 3 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese
- 4 tablespoon grated cheese, add in with the egg so it melts
- 1.5 tablespoon cream cheese, whisk into the eggs