The humble scrambled egg gets an asian-style makeover that will knock your socks off: Vietnamese scrambled eggs is a true taste revelation. The secret ingredient is fish sauce!
Since I started eating sugar free and low carb, breakfast is the meal that has changed most. Out is the toast with jam, the maple syrup-covered pancake and anything by Kellogg’s. Instead of loading up on carbohydrates, I eat protein and healthy fats, which makes me feel way more alert and satisfied until lunchtime.
Eggs are one of the most popular breakfast choices for a low carb diet. Here are some of my go-to favourites:
- Soft-boiled eggs with asparagus or cheese soldiers,
- Fried eggs – so crispy, so lovely, so messy
- Scrambled eggs with whatever is in the fridge – spinach, bacon, veggies, chorizo, ham. Or just on their own
- Poached eggs with avocado on low carb rolls.
Now I have a new egg passion: Vietnamese scrambled eggs.
Adding fish sauce to scrambled eggs makes the taste go “off the scale”! The saltiness of the fish sauce adds a new dimension to this dish that you have not thought possible. The result is definitely not fishy like you might imagine. It’s rich, complex and simply… “oompf”.
Adding tomatoes for that lovely umami flavour and spring onions plus a little ginger to the mix makes this dish a perfectly quick, easy and protein-rich lunch as well.
The key to achieving the briny richness that is reminiscent of crab is to take your time with the preparation or your Vietnamese scrambled eggs. The spring onions need to be sauteed on low heat, which brings out their sweetness. The beaten egg mixture should also be cooked slowly and moved around gently with a spatula.
I don’t like my eggs dry – I love the creamy texture they get when you do not rush. I will even pour the leftover raw egg from the bowl into the finished scrambled eggs to soften them further.
Vietnamese scrambled eggs might not be the right thing for everyone at seven o’Clock in the morning; I totally understand that some tastebuds need to be woken gently. That’s why would recommend to give this truly incredibly flavour combo a try at sensible time of day once you are ready for a bit of an adventure.
I promise, you’ll never look back.
★ Tried this recipe? Give it a star rating below!★
Vietnamese Scrambled Eggs with Fish Sauce
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons of fish sauce
- 1 cm ginger chopped
- 2 spring onions cut into rings
- 1 shallot chopped (optional)
- 6 cherry tomatoes deseeded and quartered
- black pepper
- oil for frying
- Heat oil in a pan. Gently fry your onions and ginger on a low heat until softened (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add the deseeded tomatoes (the seeds would make the dish too watery) and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk the eggs and fish sauce in a bowl and add to the pan.
- On a very low heat, move the mixture around gently until the egg has a creamy consistency.
- Pour over the last bit of raw egg from the bowl - this is too good to waste!