This easy keto egg salad is perfect for a quick lunch and can be prepared ahead. You only need a few ingredients and it is ready in minutes. It is so simple and simply delicious.
After publishing my bell pepper sandwich last week, I decided I needed to add more super easy lunches to my recipe collection.
Being on a low carb diet, I naturally eat a fair amount of eggs. They are filling and a great source of protein. Keto scrambled eggs, fried or boiled, hot or cold - there is no way I won't enjoy them.
This low carb egg salad is a delicious simple lunch that I make on a regular basis. It is filling, satisfying and can be prepped in advance.
In fact, it doesn't taste much different than a classic egg salad, since all ingredients are naturally low in carbs anyway.
But of course, I added a few expert keto tweaks!
🌟 Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Ready in minutes
- Delicious flavor, soft and creamy texture with a little crunch from the celery
- High in protein
- Filling and satisfying
- Gluten-free, low carb and keto
- Great for meal prep
Here are the ingredients you'll need:
- Eggs - room temperature so they don't crack when you boil them. Also, it is best to use older eggs. Very fresh eggs are harder to peel.
- Keto mayonnaise - or buy a keto friendly mayo with avocado oil or olive oil. Regular mayonnaise is made with inflammatory vegetable oils and you want to avoid these on keto.
- Lemon juice - must be fresh
- Mustard - I used Dijon mustard
- Celery - chopped very finely. Slice the celery ribs lengthways several times before chopping. Adds a lovely crunch.
- Spring onions - also called scallions. I use the green parts over the white because they taste milder.
- Salt and pepper, to taste
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
This section contains step by step instructions and photos that show how to make the recipe.
Hard-boil the eggs. Bring a saucepan with water to the boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer and lower the eggs into water with a spoon.
Cook for 9 minutes. Then, put the eggs into a bowl with very cold water to stop them from cooking. Let them cool, then peel.
Chop. Chop the eggs into small pieces. I like to also mash them with a fork to make them even smaller. Then, chop the celery and the spring onions very finely.
Mix. Stir the lemon juice and mustard into the mayonnaise in a large bowl.
Add the chopped vegetables...
...and then the hard-boiled eggs. That's it!
Don't overcook eggs. You need to put eggs in a bowl with ice cold water after cooking. Replace the water if necessary. Otherwise, they continue to cook and the egg yolk can get a dark rim.
Refrigerating the salad actually makes it taste even better. It gives the flavors time to meld.
The following add-ins taste great in this salad:
- chopped avocado
- cucumber (only the firm part, not the soft inside)
- bell pepper
Expert tip: Stir in any additional vegetables straight before eating as they may release liquid and make the salad watery.
Use older eggs and cook them in hot water rather than start them off in cold water. This means the membrane between the egg white and the shell is not as strong. Eggs are easy to peel under running cold water.
Egg salad keeps well in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
I don't recommend to freeze egg salad. Neither boiled egg nor mayonnaise freeze well.
In my opinion, egg salad goes hand in hand with cress. It's a classic combination and the slightly peppery notes of the cress work so well with the mild taste of the salad.
However, it is also wonderful with fresh dill, parsley or chopped chives.
Or, simply sprinkle over a little paprika.
How To Serve
Romaine lettuce works well because it is sturdy.
It's also delicious spooned on cucumber slices.
- Almond flour bread
- Keto 90 second bread
- Keto English muffins
- Keto coconut flour bread
- Chia seed crackers
- Flaxseed crackers
More Egg Recipes
Here are more keto egg recipes to try:
Tried this recipe? Give it a star rating below!
Keto Egg Saladfrom Sugar Free Londoner
Note: The servings slider only changes the first amount in each line and not any subsequent amounts. Please make your own calculations where necessary.
- Bring a pot with water to the boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer and lower the eggs into the water with a spoon. Cook for 9 minutes. Then, put the eggs into a bowl with very cold water to stop them from cooking. Peel under running cold water.
- Chop the eggs into small pieces. I like to also mash them with a fork to make them even smaller.
- Chop the celery and the spring onions very finely. Slice the celery ribs lengthways several times before chopping.
- Stir the lemon juice and mustard into the mayonnaise in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the chopped vegetables and the fully cooled egg and fold everything together.