So incredibly easy and impossibly delicious: Strawberry Coconut Mousse. Only four ingredients, vegan, low carb and refined sugar free!
Do you remember that shampoo ad by Herbal Essences? Where the model lathers her impossibly luscious hair in the middle of the jungle under a waterfall, eyes closed, ecstatic smile, beautiful flowers and nature everywhere? Somehow this ad popped into my mind this morning – and no, not while I was washing my own hair. And instead of making me want to buy Herbal Essences, it was the FEELING of indulgence I felt I needed.
So what did I do? Of course, I made a dessert!
In line with the tropical theme, it had to be coconut. And strawberries, not because they are particularly tropical, but because they taste great.
Friends, this strawberry coconut mousse tastes irresistibly fluffy and light, has only four ingredients and is super-simple to make. Basically, it is the strawberry equivalent of my Chocolate Avocado Mousse!
I have used a new sweetener in this recipe (new for me at least) – xylitol. It does not raise blood sugar levels, contains zero fructose (that’s the stuff that gets us hooked) and is the sweetening ingredient you can find in many chewing-gums nowadays. It looks like sugar, pretty much tastes like sugar and, unlike stevia, can be replaced in a 1:1 ratio. Here are a few xylitol facts, taken from the health website Authority Nutrition:
- Xylitol is a type of sweetener called a sugar alcohol and is found in some plants, such as birch trees.
- Unlike sugar, xylitol has negligible effects on blood sugar and insulin levels.
- It can starve the harmful bacteria in the mouth, reducing plaque buildup and tooth decay.
- Xylitol may help to increase collagen production and reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
- Eaten in large amounts (by people), it can lead to bloating and diarrhea. Calm down, though: this recipe shares 2 teaspoons between 6 portions, so you should be fine. Just make sure your dog is out of sight – xylitol is toxic for them!).
Back to coconut strawberry awesomeness. The key to success here is: your can of coconut milk has to be SUPER THICK. If it is not, leave the can (or transfer to a bowl) uncovered in the fridge overnight. A good trick is to shake the can when you’re at the store. If you can hear the liquid contents swishing around, it’s probably too thin to work for this recipe.
Once thick, transfer only the creamy part to a bowl, leaving the liquid part for a lovely Thai Curry you might want to make later. Whip in your strawberries, vanilla and sweetener and cool until serving time.
So easy and so delicious: Strawberry Coconut Mousse. Only four ingredients, vegan, low carb and refined sugar free!
5 minPrep Time
5 minTotal Time
- 400g (1 2/3 cup) coconut milk (from a tin), full fat and cooled
- 200g (1 1/2 cup) strawberries, hulled
- 1 vanilla pod or 1 tsp ground vanilla
- 2 tsp xylitol or sweetener of choice, adjust to taste (if you use stevia halve the amount)
- extra strawberries to decorate
- Make sure your coconut milk is cold and firm. Scoop only the thick bits out of the can (if you chose a full fat coconut milk, this should be the majority of the contents). You do not want your mousse to be liquid
- Blend half of the coconut milk with the strawberries and sweeten with 1 tsp of xylitol
- Flavour the rest with the vanilla and 1 tsp of xylitol.
- Fill into shot glasses and serve
While making this recipe, my kids and I tried the mixture so many times that we were left with only 4 portions. If you are less greedy than us though, it should be sufficient for 6 shot glasses.