Keto eggplant parmesan is pure comfort food! This easy recipe requires only 5 ingredients. Layers of eggplant combined with tomato sauce and plenty of melted cheese - a delicious family friendly low carb meal.
I'm a huge fan of anything that can be topped with gooey cheese (just check out my keto mac and cheese or this low carb pizza).
Naturally, I'm often drawn to Italian cuisine and its effortless simplicity. The Italians always get it right - minimal ingredients, maximal taste. Italian food is like a happy hug!
When I order Italian these days, parmigiana di melanzane is always one of my go-to choices. It reminds me of summer, plus it is awesomely healthy since a vegetable is the star of the meal.
I often make baked eggplant as a simple side dish. But this dish takes eggplant to the next level!
🌟 Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Easy recipe - only 5 main ingredients
- Filling and satisfying
- Naturally gluten-free
- Authentic Italian flavor and taste
- Great for meal prep and freezes well
- 7.5g net carbs per portion
In short, it's heaven in a casserole dish! The dish is made with layers of roasted eggplant drenched in tomato sauce and topped with plenty of mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
Yes, if you make the original Italian version of the recipe. The American version is not gluten-free or keto friendly because the eggplant is breaded before the dish is assembled.
Here are the ingredients you'll need to make a low carb eggplant parmesan:
- Eggplant - also called aubergine. A great keto friendly vegetable
- Keto marinara sauce
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Mozzarella cheese - I used both shredded mozzarella and buffalo mozzarella. Option to only used shredded mozzarella
- Seasoning - extra virgin olive oil, pepper, salt and fresh basil.
I'm using 2 types of mozzarella because I think it takes the taste up a notch! However, if you don't have fresh mozzarella, you can replace it with more shredded.
(This section contains step by step instructions and photos that show how to make this recipe. Find the recipe card with ingredient amounts and nutritional information at the bottom of the post.)
Step 1: Trim the eggplant and slice lengthways. Sprinkle with salt and allow to rest.
Step 2: Rinse the eggplant to remove the salt and pat dry on kitchen paper. Brush the slices with olive oil and sear briefly in a skillet.
Step 3: Spread a little marinara over the bottom of the casserole dish. Then, start layering the cheese, eggplant slices and sauce. Top with cheese.
Step 4: Bake in the oven until the cheese is melted and golden on top. Sprinkle with fresh basil leaves to serve.
Sweat the eggplant before using. The salt draws out the excess moisture, which prevents them going soggy during baking. It also removes any bitterness.
Sear the slices. You can't use eggplant raw. The dish will take ages to bake and the slices will become dry, tasteless and rubbery. Frying them first makes all the difference.
Fry in batches. Don't overcrowd the eggplant slices in the pan when you sear them. Laid out in a single layer, they become crispy and golden quicker. I used about 5 slices per frying pan.
Add a keto breading: Use my keto bread crumbs or make your own mix with almond flour or coconut flour and pork rinds plus seasonings. In this case, you'll want to skip the frying pan step. Simply bread the slices and roast them in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Then, proceed with the recipe.
Eggplant lasagna: Add my low carb bolognese sauce and turn the recipe into a keto eggplant lasagna!
Keto eggplant parmesan is wonderful with a crunchy green salad or this coleslaw.
For a more filling meal, I recommend to add a slice of my focaccia, garlic bread or this almond flour bread.
Storage and prep
This recipe is great for meal prep. I find that it actually tastes better on the second day when the flavors have had time to meld.
Refrigerator: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Freezer: This dish freezes well for up to 3 months.
To reheat: Heat from frozen in the oven at 200C / 400F. Or, simply reheat in the microwave.
- Easy Keto Taco Casserole Recipe50 Minutes
- Keto Chicken Curry Casserole1 Hours 30 Minutes
- How To Make Keto Quiche55 Minutes
- Keto Lemon Chicken20 Minutes
Tried this recipe? Give it a star rating below!
★ STAY IN TOUCH on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST and INSTAGRAM for more great food and join my NEWSLETTER for the latest updates and a FREE EBOOK.★
Keto Eggplant Parmesanfrom Sugar Free Londoner
Note: The servings slider only changes the first amount in each line and not any subsequent amounts. Please make your own calculations where necessary. ***As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- casserole pan (26 x 21 x 5cm)
- ½ portion keto marinara sauce
- 3 medium eggplant sliced lengthways ½ cm thick (700g / 1.5 pounds) - yields 24 slices, 6 per layer
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 5 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup grated parmesan 55g
- 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella 170g
- 4.4 oz mozzarella ball 125g, drained (buffalo or cow). Option to use more shredded mozzarella instead
- 5 g fresh basil Handful
- Trim the eggplant and slice lengthways (3 - 5 mm thick). Place in a bowl and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and allow to rest.
- Make tomato sauce whilst the eggplant rest.
- Rinse the eggplant to remove the salt and pat dry on kitchen paper.
- Brush the eggplant on both sides generously with 5 tablespoon of olive oil. Heat a non stick pan and fry for about 1 - 2 minutes per side on a medium heat, or until golden. It’s best to do this in batches so as not to overcrowd the eggplant, about 5 slices per frying pan.
- Preheat oven to 180C /350 F electric or 160C / 320F fan.
- Spread a little marinara over the bottom of the casserole dish. Layer ⅓ of the eggplant on top. Top with ⅓ of the sauce, ⅓ of the black pepper and ⅓ of each of the cheeses. Repeat until all ingredients are used up.
- Bake in the oven for 35 - 40 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden on top. Sprinkle with fresh basil leaves to serve.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one of these links and purchase a product, I may earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Free Londoner.
I am a type 2 diabetic. I have recently adopted a keto diet and blood sugar almost back to normal, I feel fitter, look better and have avoided the need to take additional medication which was my aim. I am enjoying creating low carb meals but was just beginning to need inspiration for new exciting recipes. This is a great site.
I'm so happy you found my website. Thank you for your kind words and congratulations on turning around your health.
This was absolutely delicious
I made this, but with less sauce and only a little bit of shredded cheddar instead of lots of shredded mozzarella, and it was super delicious ❤️
So glad you liked it!!
Can I use ricotta cheese ?
Yes, that should work well in terms of flavour.
This tastes incredible! Made it for Dinner last night. Went down a treat!
What is buffalo mozarella?
It's mozzarella from buffalo. But any mozzarella that's round and soft in the middle will work.