This keto lemon chicken recipe is taking deliciousness to a whole new level. Think tender chicken breasts browned in a skillet, with a rich lemon sauce. A restaurant quality high protein low carb dinner that is ready in 20 minutes.
I couldn't decide what to call this dish - lemon garlic chicken or lemon pepper chicken or even "speedy chicken piccata" as the recipe contains capers, the signature ingredient of piccata.
Well, my low carb lemon chicken is all of these things. Garlicky, peppery, tangy, creamy and above all lemony!
And did I mention how easy it is?
It is a tasty everyday weeknight dinner, but also delicious enough to serve it when you are having friends and family over.
We have it on regular rotation in our house, it is that good!
Here is a run-through of the ingredients:
Chicken breasts - If they are thick, give them a bash with a rolling pin to flatten them. This way, they will cook quicker.
Spices - Garlic, thyme, salt and pepper
Lemon - For an extra portion vitamin C. Should be unwaxed. Since we are using lemon slices, there is no need for grating the lemon zest.
White wine - Dry white wine adds depth to the dish and the alcohol will cook off. However, the recipe will work without.
Chicken broth - Use a good quality chicken broth or stock cube.
Butter and olive oil - Butter makes the sauce so much tastier. It also adds thickness and creaminess.
Capers - I love the tangy flavor of capers! Use capers in brine, not the salted ones.
Dijon mustard - or any other yellow mustard.
This section contains step-by-step instructions and photos that show how to make this recipe. See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities
Step 1: Put the chicken in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
Step 2: Heat olive oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add chicken and cook for about 5 minutes per side over a medium-high heat until almost cooked through.
Set aside and cover with aluminium foil to keep warm.
Step 3: Heat the remaining oil in the same pan you cooked the chicken in. Add the garlic and thyme and fry briefly. Then, add the wine and cook off for one minute.
Step 4: Add the broth, Dijon mustard and butter. Simmer on a medium heat for until the sauce starts to reduce.
Step 5: Add the chicken back into the pan together with the capers and lemon slices. Cook until the sauce thickens and the chicken is fully cooked through. The lemon juice will seep from the lemon slices and flavor the sauce.
Depending on the thickness of your chicken breast, this will take between 4-7 minutes.
Garnish with fresh parsley and adjust the seasoning to taste. A little extra pepper never hurts!
Don't move the chicken: Do not move the chicken breasts around the pan during frying. This keeps the meat tender.
Check for doneness: Check the chicken breasts are fully cooked through by cutting one open slightly. Or, use a meat thermometer. It should have an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
Serve keto lemon chicken with green vegetables such as
- steamed broccoli
- green beans
- roasted cabbage
- sautéed zucchini
It also pairs magnificently with a crisp green salad.
Another idea is to serve it with a side of cauliflower rice or mashed cauliflower to soak up the sauce.
Yes. For a creamy lemon sauce, add ½ cup or 120ml heavy cream at the end. Grated parmesan also works well in combination with cream.
Of course. Choose boneless skinless chicken thighs. It is also possible to use chicken pieces with skin.
Instant pot instructions
Here are the steps to make this lemon garlic chicken recipe in an Instant Pot:
- Set the pot to medium-saute, add oil and pre-heat. Add the garlic, thyme and chicken breasts. Lightly brown for 1 - 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the pot.
- Add the wine and broth and scrape the bottom to incorporate the brown bits. Then add the rest of the sauce ingredients and stir.
- Arrange the chicken on top. Seal and set the pot to high pressure for 4 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 3 minutes, then do a quick release.
Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Or, freeze for up to 3 months.
Tried this recipe? Give it a star rating below!
Keto Lemon Chickenfrom Sugar Free Londoner
Note: The servings slider only changes the first amount in each line and not any subsequent amounts. Please make your own calculations where necessary.
- 4 skinless chicken breasts 26.8oz / 760g
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon sliced
- 3 tablespoon dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth 240ml
- 2 tablespoon butter or more olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers
- ½ - 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or ½ teaspoon dijon and a dash of apple cider vinegar
- To serve: chopped parsley and a drizzle of olive oil
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add chicken and cook for about 5 minutes per side till almost cooked through. Don't move during cooking!
- Set aside and keep warm by covering with aluminium foil.
- Heat the remaining oil. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for about 1 minute until the rawness goes. Add the wine and cook off for 1 minute.
- Add the broth, Dijon and butter. Simmer on a medium heat for 2 minutes until the sauce starts to reduce.
- Add the chicken back in with the capers and lemon slices. Cook until the sauce thickens and the chicken is fully cooked through. Depending on the thickness of your chicken breast, this will take between 4-7 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and adjust seasoning to taste.