This soul-satisfying keto cheeseburger soup is a wonderful belly-warmer. It is my low carb version of this all-American comfort food classic. A creamy, rich soup with ground beef that is seriously family-friendly. Only 3.3g net carbs per serve.
Have you ever heard of bacon cheeseburger soup? This hearty, chunky soup has all the flavor of a cheeseburger with bacon, but without the bun.
My kids love it, because it's super tasty. But we also like it because the idea of a cheeseburger soup is simply fun.
In essence, it is a thick soup with ground beef and a few extras thrown in that remind us of a cheeseburger: tomatoes, bacon, cheese, and even pickles or croutons.
Why you'll love it
- Delicious! Creamy texture and packed with flavor
- Nourishing. A protein-rich and filling soup that is great as a standalone meal
- Quick. Only 5 minutes prep and ready in 30 minutes
- Easy. An uncomplicated recipe for beginner cooks
- Versatile. Can be made ahead and reheated
- Great for batch cooking. This soup is freezer-friendly
- Keto-friendly and gluten-free. Only 3.3g net carbs per serving
These will be the best 30 minutes you spend cooking this week.
Let's take a look at the ingredients for a low carb cheeseburger soup:
- Onion and garlic. I like to use fresh, because the taste is better. However, you could season the beef with onion powder and garlic powder if you are strapped for time.
- Ground beef. Choose a lean ground beef.
- Bacon. This should be thinly sliced. Bacon lardons work as well.
- Chopped tomatoes and tomato puree.
- Beef stock or beef broth. Option to use chicken broth for a milder taste.
- Cream cheese and heavy cream. Adds creaminess.
- Cheese. This could be shredded cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack.
- Seasoning: Salt, pepper and Dijon mustard.
(This section contains step by step instructions and photos that show how to make this recipe. Find the recipe card with ingredient amounts and nutritional information at the bottom of the post.)
Step 1: Fry the onions and garlic in a large pot or dutch oven over a low heat until soft and translucent.
Step 2: Add the ground beef and bacon and cook until the beef is browned.
Step 3: Stir in the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, Dijon mustard, beef stock, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil.
Step 4: Reduce to a simmer and cook until the soup thickens.
Step 5: Add the cream cheese plus part of the cheddar and the parsley. Mix well until the cheese melts. Stir in the heavy cream and take off the heat.
Step 6: Pour the keto cheeseburger soup into soup bowls and top with the remaining cheese and parsley as well as some chopped fresh tomatoes.
Don't leave out the Dijon mustard! It really lifts the taste. For extra flavor, you can also add 1-2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce.
If you make this recipe, yes! Traditional cheeseburger soup recipes are not not keto, because they are made with potatoes. I have omitted them here. A replacement for the potatoes could be very small cauliflower florets.
Cheeseburger soup requires two types of cheese. Cream cheese makes it velvety and rich. And sharp cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack adds additional flavour.
Yes, you can use more beef stock instead. However, I think the tomatoes complement the beef flavour. Think Bolognese Sauce!
Absolutely. This soup is great for meal prep and you can double, triple or quadruple the recipe as you wish. For larger amounts, fry the beef in batches so it can brown evenly.
Below are some ideas for optional toppings:
- Bacon pieces
- Shredded cheese
- Keto croutons
- Sugar free pickled gherkins or dill pickles. The tanginess adds an interesting twist!
Or enjoy the soup with a proper burger bun. For this, I recommend my Keto dinner rolls.
More vegetables: Add 2-3 stalks of celery and 1 small carrot to the recipe. You don't want to use more than that because of the additional carbs. As mentioned above, small cauliflower florets could be added as a replacement for potatoes.
Change the meat: The recipe also works with ground chicken to ground turkey.
This keto cheeseburger soup recipe is great for batch cooking and it tastes even better on the second day once the flavors have had time to mingle.
Refrigerator: Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freezer: Freeze for up to 3 months.
To defrost: Thaw overnight in the fridge, then reheat on the stove top or in the microwave.
More keto soups
Tried this recipe? Give it a star rating below!
Keto Cheeseburger Soupfrom Sugar Free Londoner
Note: The servings slider only changes the first amount in each line and not any subsequent amounts. Please make your own calculations where necessary. ***As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- soup pan
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped (60g)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1.1 lb ground beef 500g
- 6 small slices of thin cut streaky bacon smoked or unsmoked, chopped (90g)
- 1 cup tinned chopped tomatoes 240g
- 1 - 2 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1.5 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups beef broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ⅓ cup cream cheese 80g
- 1.5 cup shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese 170g
- 3 tablespoon chopped parsley
- ⅓ cup heavy cream 80g
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cherry tomatoes 38g
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven or non stick soup pan. Fry the onion and garlic for 2 - 3 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the ground beef and bacon and cook for a further 4 - 6 minutes until browned. Option to drain the fat if using a high fat content beef.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, Dijon mustard, beef stock, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes until thick.
- Add the cream cheese, 1 + ¼ cup of cheddar and 2 tablespoon chopped parsley. Mix well until the cheese melts. Stir in the heavy cream and take off the heat. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Serve in bowls and top with the remaining ¼ cup of cheese and chopped fresh tomatoes mixed with the remaining 1 tablespoon of parsley.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one of these links and purchase a product, I may earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Free Londoner.