This soul-satisfying keto cheeseburger soup recipe is a wonderful belly-warmer. It's my Keto take on this all-American comfort food classic. A creamy, rich soup that is seriously family-friendly!
Have you ever heard of bacon cheeseburger soup? If you live in Europe, chances are that you haven't. Because I had not heard of it until about a month ago (as you may know I am German and live in London). And when I asked a few people if they knew cheeseburger soup was a REAL thing, I earned a bunch of raised eyebrows and sceptical faces.
If you are American, you've probably grown up with cheeseburger soup. I did a little online research and found out that in essence, it's a super popular thick vegetable soup with ground beef and a few extras thrown in that remind us of a cheeseburger. We're talking tomatoes here, bacon, cheese, and maybe even a few optional pickles or croutons.
You know what? I think its PURE BRILLIANCE. A hearty soup for a cold day? Yes please! Cheeseburger? Love it! So, why not combine the two and create one heavenly comfort food. Whoever came up with the first cheeseburger soup recipe deserves a medal!
This being a low carb blog, I wanted to make a Keto cheeseburger soup.
You see, one of the common ingredients in a regular cheeseburger soup is potatoes. They do make soup nice and thick, but potatoes are a starchy vegetable and therefore not used in low carb diets. Most of the other basic ingredients are perfectly low carb, so you're getting maximum enjoyment and super satisfying taste.
This will be the best 30 minutes you spent cooking this week. Pinky swear.
How to make keto cheeseburger soup - step by step:
1.) Add the butter to dutch oven or non stick soup pan. Add the onion and garlic and fry for 2 - 3 minutes until soft and translucent.
2.) Add the ground beef and bacon and cook for a further 4 - 6 minutes until cooked through.
Tip: If you are using a high fat content beef, you can drain the fat now.
3.) Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, dijon mustard, beef stock, salt and pepper and bring to the boil.
4.) Reduce to a simmer on a medium / low heat and cook for about 15 minutes until thick and flavoursome.
5.) Add the cream cheese, 1 + ¼ cup of cheddar and 2 tbsp chopped parsley. Mix well until the cheese melts. Stir in the heavy cream and take off the heat. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
Recipe Tips and Variations
I added a tin of tomatoes to the soup because we all know that tomato and mince go incredibly well together. Think Bolognese Sauce!
You could replace it with more beef stock if you're not a fan, but I can assure you that the tomatoes mixed with the cream cheese and heavy cream give an incredible richness. Then when you allow the shredded cheese to melt into the hot soup, it goes all stringy and indulgent! And don't forget that a cheeseburger wouldn't be the same without a slice of tomato 🙂
The little pop of Dijon mustard gives a nice yet subtle tang to complement the sweet tomatoes. Well, what cheeseburger would be complete without a little mustard?
If you really want to go all out cheeseburger fever, feel free to top with some sugar free pickled gherkins.
I think the fresh parsley complements the richness of the soup. Of course, purists could leave it out and instead serve the soup with a crispy green salad.
Last but not least, let's talk burger bun. You could make my Keto microwave bread, cut it into squares and fry it in some butter (and garlic) and top the soup with croutons. Or enjoy it with a proper bun as a dipper - for this I recommend my Keto dinner rolls.
Some people might still want to point out that this keto cheeseburger soup recipe is essentially a variation on a meat sauce. I hear you, I see what you mean.
The thing is, giving a good thing a twist - and a different name - is half the fun of cooking. And if you really, really want, you CAN serve it as a sauce with some shiratake pasta. I bet this would be delicious, too. Only then you couldn't call it cheeseburger soup!
More keto comfort food recipes for cold days and nights:
- Keto Cauliflower And Broccoli Mac and Cheese
- Low Carb Keto Roast Chicken Soup
- Keto Chicken Curry Casserole
- Best Italian Keto Meatballs
Tried this recipe? Give it a star rating below!
Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
Note: The servings slider only changes the first amount in each line and not any subsequent amounts. Please make your own calculations where necessary. ***As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- soup pan
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion chopped (60g)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 500 g / 1.1 lb ground beef
- 6 small slices of thin cut streaky bacon smoked or unsmoked, chopped (90g)
- 1 cup tinned chopped tomatoes 240g
- 1 - 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1.5 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 cups beef stock
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cracked black pepper
- ⅓ cup cream cheese 80g
- 1.5 cup shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese 170g
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- ⅓ cup heavy cream 80g
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cherry tomatoes 38g
- Add the butter to dutch oven or non stick soup pan. Add the onion and garlic and fry for 2 - 3 minutes until soft and translucent. Add the ground beef and bacon and cook for a further 4 - 6 minutes until cooked through. Option to drain the fat if using a high fat content beef.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, dijon mustard, beef stock, salt and pepper and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer on a medium / low heat and cook for about 15 minutes until thick and flavoursome.
- Add the cream cheese, 1 + ¼ cup of cheddar and 2 tbsp chopped parsley. Mix well until the cheese melts. Stir in the heavy cream and take off the heat. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Pour the cheeseburger soup into bowls and top with the remaining ¼ cup of cheese and chopped fresh tomatoes mixed with the remaining 1 tbsp of parsley.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one of these links and purchase a product, I may earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Free Londoner.