This easy keto mushroom soup recipe is super creamy. It tastes so much better than any store bought cream of mushroom soup! A satisfying and healthy meal that's ready in under 30 minutes.
Ready-made soups may be convenient, but they often contain hidden sugars and carbs plus preservatives. In my opinion, homemade soups always win.
They are healthier, fresher and taste better.
As soon as the weather cools down, we make this soup on a regular basis. In fact, alongside my keto tomato soup, it is my husband's favourite soup.
It is perfect for meal prep, so make a big batch and freeze for quick lunches.
🌟 Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Nourishing and filling. A satisfying lunch packed with nutrients.
- Big on flavor. We're letting the mushrooms do the talking, not the cream.
- Gluten-free. No cornstarch or flour! You puree the mushrooms and other vegetables to make the soup deliciously creamy and thick.
- Keto friendly. One serving is just 5.1g net carbs.
- Easy and quick. Simple steps and ready in less than 30 minutes.
You only need a handful of ingredients to make a keto cream of mushroom soup:
- Mushrooms - white or brown mushrooms. I use baby bella, cremini or portobello. Make sure they are cleaned and cubed. To save time, you can also buy pre-sliced mushrooms.
- Garlic - Fresh is always best!
- Chicken Stock - For best results, use a good quality chicken broth. However, a stock cube will also do the job.
- Seasoning - I used thyme, bay leaf, pepper & sea salt
Optional extra: Add ⅓ cup or 10 grams of dried porcini mushrooms. These really elevate the taste! They need to be soaked for 5 minutes in hot water and then washed well before you add them to the soup.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Below are ideas how you can change up the recipe to your taste or dietary needs.
To make the recipe vegetarian, use a vegetable stock instead of the chicken broth.
Want it spicy? Add smoked paprika, a pinch of cayenne pepper or red chili pepper flakes.
Like your soup extra rich? Use ½ cup heavy cream and / or add 4oz or 120 grams of cream cheese at the end. In this case, cook the soup an additional 10 minutes after adding the cream to reduce the liquid and intensify the taste.
This section contains step by step instructions and photos that show how to make this recipe. See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Step 1: Fry the onion, celery, thyme and bay leaf in a large saucepan over medium heat. Then add the mushrooms and garlic and sauce until golden brown.
Step 2: Pick out some of the mushrooms for decorating the soup bowls later.
Step 3: Add the chicken broth (and porcini mushrooms, if using) and simmer until the mushrooms have softened.
Step 4: Last, add the heavy whipping cream.
Step 5: Blend until smooth with an immersion blender or in a high speed blender.
Step 6: Fill into bowls and top with the reserved mushrooms, a swirl of cream, extra virgin olive oil, cracked black pepper and fresh thyme.
Wash and clean the mushrooms immediately before cooking so they don't turn slimy. Mushrooms absorb water!
If you prefer a chunkier soup, only puree half of the soup.
Instant Pot Instructions
Below are instructions how you can make a low carb mushroom soup in an Instant pot or pressure cooker.
Step 1: Put the cooker on the Sauté setting. Add the onion, celery, thyme and bay leaf and cook for a couple of minutes. Then, add the chopped mushrooms and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until tender and lightly browned. Stir regularly.
Step 2: Remove some of the mushrooms for decorating the soup later.
Step 3: Pour in the chicken broth. Put the lid on the Instant Pot and seal. Select manual and set the timer to 5 minutes. The pot will take a few minutes to come to pressure.
Step 4: When the cook cycle has ended, allow the pot to sit for 10 minutes. Then, turn the knob and do a quick release of the remaining steam.
Step 5: Add the cream and puree the soup.
Everything you need to know about mushrooms!
Choosing mushrooms: You can buy sliced mushrooms for this recipe to save time. I prefer to buy mine whole because that way they're fresher. Check that the surface of the mushrooms is dry, firm and smooth.
Cleaning: Wash mushrooms in cold water to remove any dirt. Some people use a dedicated toothbrush for this, but I'm keeping it simple and use my hands or a knife.
Storage: Always in the fridge and never in air-tight containers. Mushrooms like to "breathe", which means it is best to store them in moisture-absorbing packaging that allow for air flow.
This means either store them in the packaging they come in or use a paper bag which you leave slightly open.
Mushrooms are naturally keto friendly. They are low in carbs and high in fibre. White button mushrooms are the lowest at just 3 grams of carbs per 100 grams or 1 cup. Read more about the nutritional benefits of mushrooms.
Yes, frozen mushrooms work in this soup. Defrost them before using.
Use olive oil instead of butter and leave out the cream or use a dairy-free cream. I like to add Violife vegan feta sprinkled on top if I’m not adding cream.
When I make a large batch of this soup to freeze, I omit the cream. I simply add a tablespoon per serving after defrosting, when I am ready to reheat and serve.
Cream does not freeze well and sometimes it can separate, creating a grainy texture. If you do freeze the soup with the cream, blending it again solves the issue.
Toppings and Serving Suggestion
Keto mushroom soup tastes delicious topped with grated parmesan cheese or stir in a tablespoon of nutritional yeast.
Other possible toppings: Keto croutons, chopped parsley or chives.
Serve with keto dinner rolls, almond flour biscuits, these cheesy keto biscuits or a slice of toasted and buttered low carb bread.
Refrigerator: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Freezer: Freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge, then reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
More keto soup recipes
These belly-warming recipes are like a hug in a bowl!
- Creamy Keto Butternut Squash Soup Recipe20 Minutes
- Keto Vegetable Soup30 Minutes
- Creamy Keto Cauliflower Soup36 Minutes
- Keto Chicken Soup
Tried this recipe? Give it a star rating below!
★ STAY IN TOUCH on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST and INSTAGRAM for more great food and join my NEWSLETTER for the latest updates and a FREE EBOOK.★
Keto Mushroom Soupfrom Sugar Free Londoner
Note: The servings slider only changes the first amount in each line and not any subsequent amounts. Please make your own calculations where necessary.
- ¼ cup butter 55g, unsalted
- 1 small onion 60g
- 2 celery ribs 80 g
- 2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1.5 teaspoon dried 1.5g
- 1 bay leaf
- 1.1 lbs / 500g white or brown chestnut mushrooms cleaned and cubed
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cup / 900ml chicken stock
- ¼ cup / 60ml cream keeping a little back to drizzle on top or ¼ cup vegan feta for DF
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Swirl of cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- cracked black pepper to taste
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan. Once hot add the onion, celery, thyme and bay leaf and fry on a medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for 5 - 7 minutes until golden brown.
- Pick out about ¼ cup of mushrooms and place to one side for the topping. Add chicken stock and simmer for about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Add cream and turn off the heat. Remove the bay leaf and transfer to a blender. Blitz until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Top with reserved mushrooms, swirl of cream, olive oil, cracked black pepper and fresh thyme.
Beautifully creamy healthy soup. I loved this. I did the vegan version and it was superb.
This is ah-may-zing!!! I dislike thyme so used taragon instead and as suggested added the porcini mushrooms. What a dish!!! A drizzle of truffle oil to serve and this is restaurant quality. Great dish on high rotation for a filling tasty lunch option.
Can this be frozen? I'm on my own and this makes a lot!
Yes, this soup can be frozen.
Sarah in CA
I am on a liquid diet for medical reasons. This soup is perfect. I added a scoop of protein peptides and used home made chicken bone broth. Perfect for a cold snowy day in the Sierra Mountains of California.
Mmmmmm Delicious Yum!
So, I made it as shown and only blitzed it half way, so you get the creamy feel and the mushroom chunks. Lots of rich flavour. Even though it was perfect this time, next time I will try adding just a bit of Cream cheese for a little zing like you suggested, or a blob of sour cream maybe? Who knows.
This Recipe is Definitely a Keeper!!!