These keto croutons are unbelievably crunchy! This easy, flavourful recipe is a wonderful addition to any soup or salad. 2.4g net carbs per portion.
Table of contents
It's always the little extras that make a dish exciting. The chopped fresh herbs, the pretty garlic oil swirls, the scattered roasted seeds and of course, the croutons.
I regularly make a big bowl of Caesar salad with chicken for lunch, and it's these low carb croutons that take it to the next level. They are super crispy and full of flavor - packed with lots of delicious herbs, garlic and olive oil.
Since normal white bread is not keto friendly, I'm using a version of my 90 Second Keto Bread to make this crouton recipe. Roasted in the oven, it becomes extremely crunchy and tastes just like the real deal.
Even better, since the bread is made with almond flour instead of wheat, one serving contains only 2.4g net carbs.
Plus, it's quick! Since the bread is made in the microwave, the whole recipe takes only 30 minutes from start to finish. Hands-on prep time is just 5 minutes.
- Egg white - Using only the white and not the yolk means the bread does to taste eggy.
- Almond flour - I used ground almonds, which is equivalent to regular almond flour in the US. If you have super fine almond flour, use ½ tablespoon less.
- Psyllium husk powder - Make sure you're using the fine powder and not whole psyllium husks (which looks like little sticks).
- Baking powder
- Extra virgin olive oil - Choose a fruity, deep coloured oil for a more intense taste.
- Garlic - I like using freshly minced garlic, but you can use ½ teaspoon of garlic powder instead.
- Salt & pepper
- Italian herbs
How to make crunchy keto croutons
First, stir together the egg whites, almond flour, psyllium husk powder, baking powder and water in a bowl and mix with a fork.
Grease a 5 x 5 inch container, fill in the bread dough and microwave for 3 minutes. It should fold away from the edges and look like this:
Chop the bread into cubes.
Now, mix the olive oil, Italian seasoning and spices together. Toss the bread cubes and the flavoured oil together in a large bowl.
Bake on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for 20 - 25 minutes until crisp, turning once.
Recipe tips and variations
Microwave timings: My microwave operates at 900 watts. If your microwave cooks at a lower power level, increase the time by 10 seconds or more. If it cooks at 1000W or higher, reduce the time by 10-20 seconds.
Oven method: To bake the bread in the oven, preheat it to 180C / 350F electric or 160C / 320F fan. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Nut free bread: Use a 50/50 mix of sesame and sunflower seed flour instead of almond flour.
Different containers: You can use any container available! Cooking times may differ slightly.
Air fryer method: Instead of using the oven, it's possible to crisp up gluten free croutons in the Air Fryer. Set it to 180C / 350F and bake for 15 minutes. Shake the basket half-way through.
Grill / Broiler method: Pre-heat the grill and toast until golden brown, shaking the pan regularly. Be sure to use the middle or a lower rack to ensure the bread does not burn.
Pan fry method: Pan-fry over a low heat until browned evenly. This is quicker than using the oven, however, I always get the most even and crunchy result if I use the oven.
Different spices: Onion powder, cumin, paprika or za'atar would all work well.
Uses for low carb croutons
- Any healthy green salads
- keto Caesar salad (made with my very irresistible keto caesar dressing)
- Keto Mushroom Soup
- Creamy Low Carb Butternut Squash Soup
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- Crush them and use as breadcrumbs. sprinkled over low carb veggies
- or enjoy as a snack!
Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Not suitable for freezing.
Can I use different bread?
Absolutely! The recipes below all make fabulous keto croutons. Use 3-4 slices with the same amount of olive oil. It's a great way of using up older bread.
Tried this recipe? Give it a star rating below!
Low Carb Keto Croutonsfrom Sugar Free Londoner
Note: The servings slider only changes the first amount in each line and not any subsequent amounts. Please make your own calculations where necessary. ***As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced, or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅓ - ½ teaspoon flaked sea salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
- Preheat the oven to 375F / 190C electric or 340F / 170C fan.
- Combine the egg whites, almond flour, psyllium husk powder, baking powder and water in a bowl and mix with a fork.
- Grease a 5 x 5 inch container and fill in the bread dough. Microwave for 3 minutes on high.
- Allow to cool. Chop into 30 cubes.
- Mix the ingredients for the topping in a bowl. Toss croutons in the olive oil mix and bake until crisp (20 - 25 minutes), turning once.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one of these links and purchase a product, I may earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Free Londoner.