A fabulously healthy treat: These delicious Low Carb Banana Muffins are grain free, sugar free and seriously nutrient-dense. This is feel-good snacking taken to the next level.
We’ve just returned from our summer holidays. Back at home in London, without sun, pool and the general feel-good-factor, I knew I had to bring the big guns in. You want peaceful silence and smiley faces all round? Plus that fab feeling when you’ve served up a bunch of healthy ingredients and everyone thinks it’s a real treat?
Make these Low Carb Banana Muffins. They are true sugar free baking magic.
Because this recipe uses almond flour and ground flax seed, the texture is a bit coarser than that of a wheat muffin. They are a brilliant nutrient-dense treat that won’t make you feel bloated the way a wheat muffin does. Plus they are actually good for you. Now, that’s what I call a win-win!
Hang on though – banana? Can I eat banana on a low carb diet?
Bananas contain the largest amount of carbs among fruits. In fact, they are made up almost completely out of water and carbs. One medium banana (7-8 inches long) contains about 10 calories, 25g of total carbs and 3 grams of fibre. Here’s an interesting infographic showing the carb content of fruits from low to high.
If you are on a moderate low carb diet you’ll aim to stay between 20-50 net carbs per day (you subtract the fibre content from the total carbs to calculate the net carbs. The fibre is non-digestible). This means banana is one of the fruits we generally avoid on a low carb diet.
How come these banana muffins are low carb?
Easy: There is only one banana in the entire recipe! As we distribute it here among 8 or 9 muffins, the carbohydrate content of each muffin is quite low. The banana flavour is so strong you can taste it with every bite – just like in my super moist sugar free banana bread!
Top tip: Make sure the banana you use is VERY RIPE. The browner the peel the better! Ripe bananas have WAY more flavour than the ones with yellow or – God forbid – green peel.
Try my other low carb muffin recipes!
Tried this recipe? Give it a star rating below!
Low Carb Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 200 g / 2 cups almond flour or ground almonds
- 30 g / 1/4 cup flaxseed ground
- 1 banana very ripe
- 2 eggs large
- 120 ml / 4 ounces almond milk
- 60 ml / 2 ounces coconut oil
- 3-4 tbsp granulated sweetener depending on your sweet tooth
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 40 g cacao nibs or chopped dark chocolate, 85-90% (1/3 cup)
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- optional: 1 tsp mixed spice
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius / 356 Fahrenheit.
- Mix the banana, eggs, almond milk and oil in a food processor or with a blender.
- Add the dry ingredients: the ground almonds, ground flaxseed, erythritol, baking powder and spices. Blend until thoroughly combined
- Lastly, stir in the cacao nibs (or chopped dark chocolate)
- Fill into a muffin tin lined with paper cups. If you don't have any to hand, make sure the tin is really well greased. My mix made 8 muffins, but I did "try" the dough quite a few times. Yours might yield 9!
- Bake at 180 degrees 25-30 minutes or until browned on top. You can also test with a cocktail stick or a knife - if they come out dry, the muffins are done.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one of these links and purchase a product, I may earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Free Londoner.