It’s time to get festive the healthy way: Keto Cinnamon Stars AKA Zimtsterne are traditional gluten free German Christmas cookies. This version is low carb, sugar free and diabetic-friendly.
That time of year has arrived again.
The festive spirit has been going strong in the shop windows since Halloween’s been over, so I should have seen it coming. But I have to admit, December always creeps up on me. Shock horror! I have not got any presents sorted! Where did I put the lights for the Christmas tree? What, only 3 weeks to go?
I admire the people that have a Christmas spreadsheet and schedule all tasks so it’s done by the first of December (yes, they exist!). When I fight my way through the crowds on Oxford Street and queue for the last turkey at the butchers’, they can sit back, admire their beautifully decorated Christmas tree and sip mulled wine.
There’s one thing though I never forget about. Cinnamon Stars, my favourite out of all German Christmas cookies.
“Zimtsterne” are perhaps the most traditional Christmas cookies in Germany. They are the Mince Pies of Deutschland; the ultimate festive baked good. Plus, they taste absolutely delicious.
The original recipe requires ground almonds, which makes these German Christmas cookies gluten free. Unfortunately though, regular cinnamon stars are packed with icing sugar, which erases all the benefits of using nuts as opposed to wheat flour.
I remade our favourite family recipe using powdered erythritol and turned them into rather delicious sugar free Christmas cookies.
Keto Cinnamon Stars are
- delicately spiced with cinnamon and ground coffee
- sweet and nutty
- gluten free
- sugar free
- low carb and keto
- tasting of Christmas with every bite.
These Keto Christmas cookies make a great homemade gift. So make a bumper portion and share the sugar free love 🙂
Try my other Christmas recipes:
- Low Carb Christmas Pudding
- Low Carb Gingerbread Cupcakes (Sugar Free)
- Spiced Chocolate Christmas Cake
- Low Carb Cranberry Sauce Recipe (Sugar Free)
- Keto Biscotti
★ Tried this recipe? Give it a star rating below!★
Keto Cinnamon Stars (German Christmas Cookies)
- Separate the eggs and whip the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Use a glass or ceramic bowl for this and make sure it's totally dry and squeaky-clean. A stick blender with plastic does not give a brilliant result - best is an old-fashioned mixer with 2 steel attachments.
- Fold in the sweetener.
- Reserve 3 tablespoons of the egg white and sugar mix for the glaze
- Add the almond flour/ground almonds and spices and stir until combined.
- Form a dough ball and roll it out around 1/2 a centimetre thick between 2 sheets of baking paper
- Place in the freezer for around 15 minutes. This is an important step - it makes cutting out the dough much easier
- Remove from the freezer, lift the top baking paper sheet and use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes (just rename the recipe if you prefer hearts instead of stars!)
- Brush on the egg white mix we set aside earlier.
- Bake in an pre-heated oven at 120 Celsius for 25 minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one of these links and purchase a product, I earn a small commission that helps me with the upkeep of my blog. Thank you for supporting Sugar Free Londoner.