Air fryer radishes are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Roasting radishes makes them taste mellow and delicious - that's why they are nick-named low carb potatoes! A healthy and simple side dish or snack that is ready in 20 minutes.
Have you ever tried roasting radishes? Well, you are in for a treat: They are the best potato substitute you will ever try.
The surprising thing is that radishes lose not only their crunch, but also their peppery sharpness when they are roasted.
Their flavor is mellow and they are neutral in taste - just like potatoes.
Yes, even if you are not a fan of raw radishes you might well like them roasted!
We make air fried radishes whenever we want a roasted potato replacement. In fact, my husband calls them "keto potatoes".
Unlike real potatoes, they are low in carbohydrates. They also contain more nutrients and less calories.
And just like potatoes, you can dress them up or down with different herbs and spices.
I love using the air fryer for this recipe because it cooks quicker and uses very little electricity.
Of course, for a larger portion you can also use the oven. I am giving timings in the recipe card.
🌟 Why You'll Love This Recipe
- The best keto potato substitute
- Healthy and nutritious
- Low in carbs and calories
- Potato-like texture - tender on the inside, crispy on the outside
- Deliciously seasoned
- Ready in just 20 minutes.
The only must-have ingredients in this recipe are fresh radishes and a little oil. Here is what I used:
- Radishes - cut into equally sized pieces. Large radishes need to be quartered, medium-sized ones halved and baby radishes can stay as they are.
- Extra virgin olive oil - Avocado oil also works well.
- Seasonings - I use sea salt and pepper, rosemary and thyme.
Tip: Don't throw out the leaves. Radish greens can be chopped and used in salads. You can also sauté them like you would spinach or kale.
(This section contains step by step instructions and photos that show how to make this recipe. Find the recipe card with ingredient amounts and nutritional information at the bottom of the post.)
Step 1: Trim the leaves and the stems of the radishes. Cut into equally sized pieces. Toss them in a bowl with oil, seasoning and herbs. Preheat the air-fryer.
Step 2: Lay the radishes in a single layer in the preheated air fryer basket. Cook until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.
This is a very simple recipe. However, there are a few tricks to make it perfectly.
1.) Equal size. Make sure the pieces are the same size so they cook evenly.
2. Single layer. Lay the radishes in a single layer in the basket. This way, the air can circulate around them and crisp them up everywhere.
3. Shake the basket halfway during cooking. Another hack to ensure the radishes roast evenly.
You can choose to enjoy the radishes unseasoned or with just a little salt. Here are more ideas:
- garlic or garlic powder
- onion powder
- parsley (add towards the end of air frying)
- red pepper flakes
- taco seasoning
- grated parmesan cheese
- cheddar cheese
- a squeeze of lemon or lemon zest
- coat them in keto bread crumbs
You can use fresh or dried herbs. See this handy post on how to dry herbs at home.
Air fryer radishes are delicious as a snack dipped in keto mayonnaise or sour cream. Enjoy hot or cold.
Or, serve them as a low carb potato alternative. Here are a few dishes I like to pair radishes with:
- Keto Lemon Chicken
- Low Carb Keto Chicken Nuggets Recipe
- Hearty Low Carb Keto Beef Stew
- Keto Swedish Meatballs
Radishes are root vegetables. They have a red or purple skin and white, crunchy flesh tat tastes peppery when raw. They are rich in antioxidants and minerals such as calcium.
For oven roasted radishes, preheat the oven to 200C / 400F. Prepare the radishes as per recipe. Then, roast them in a pan lined with parchment paper for 15 minutes. Flip them and roast for a further 10-15 minutes on the other side.
Of course. Fry them over a low heat to give them time to soften before they brown all around.
Yes. Depending on the air fryer size, the radishes won't fit in one single layer. This means the cooking time will increase by around 10 minutes. Shake the air fryer basket a couple of times during cooking to ensure even browning.
Refrigerator: Store roasted radishes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. I don't recommend freezing them.
Reheating: Just like real potatoes, roasted low carb potatoes lose their crispness during storage. To reheat, put them back in the air fryer for a few minutes. This will crisp them up. If you use the microwave, they stay soft.
Here are more easy low carb side dishes to try:
Tried this recipe? Give it a star rating below!
Air Fryer Radishes - Low Carb Potatoesfrom Sugar Free Londoner
Note: The servings slider only changes the first amount in each line and not any subsequent amounts. Please make your own calculations where necessary. ***As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 lb fresh radishes (16oz or 2 bunches) stems removed, ends trimmed and halved or quartered depending on size
- 1 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary or ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F / 200C.
- Add the radishes to a bowl and toss with oil, seasoning and herbs.
- Put the radishes into the preheated air fryer basket and cook for 8 minutes. Shake the basket and continue cooking for another 6 minutes or until crisp and golden on the outside and tender on the inside.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one of these links and purchase a product, I may earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Free Londoner.