It takes just 5 minutes to make this easy, creamy avocado spread. Use it to make top-notch avocado toast or slather it on sandwiches. It is also a delicious dip for veggies, crackers or tortilla chips.
Avocado is a wonderful way to add healthy fats to your diet. I eat it several times a week, because it is delicious, packed with nutrients and because it helps me stay fuller for longer. I slice it into salads, make avocado smoothie and even use it in cakes.
My friends, I have a new passion: this avocado spread recipe! We made a triple batch recently because everyone in my family goes crazy for it. It works as a dip, as a sandwich spread and even as a sauce for roasted salmon or vegetables.
Last but not least, it is a super deluxe upgrade to your regular smashed avocado on toast. It is silky-creamy and full of exciting Mediterranean flavor.
Why This Recipe Works
Mediterranean flavor: Avocado spread is very different from my easy guacamole recipe. It contains tahini. This is a paste made from hulled sesame seeds popular in the Med and in the Middle East. The tahini adds a rich and nutty flavor dimension, which is complemented by the addition of Dijon mustard. It is a full-on feast for the taste buds.
Meal Prep Friendly: This recipe is great when you have a ripe avocado to use up. You can prepare the spread ahead and store it for up to 3 days in the fridge. No more dry, brown avocado halves lingering on the bottom shelf!
Easy and quick: It takes only 5 minutes to make this spread. This is very little time and effort for a recipe that has the ability to transform a range of meals, from breakfast through to snack time and even dinner.
- Avocado - It is essential that the avocado is ripe. The flesh should be soft, light green and without any dark spots.
- Tahini - I like to use light tahini. Make sure it is soft and drips off a spoon.
- Mustard - French Dijon mustard gives a nice kick.
- Lemon Juice - This makes the spread taste zingy and fresh. The acid in the lemon also preserves the avocado paste, helping it stay nice and green.
- Spices - Sea salt and cracked black pepper are a must. I also add garlic powder.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Let me show you how to make a naturally low carb and vegan homemade avocado spread.
If you want it super smooth, use a small food processor or blender. Or, simply mash the avocado with a fork. Both versions taste good - you choose!
Place the avocado flesh in a bowl and mash well with a fork until no lumps remain.
Stir through the tahini, lemon, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper and serve.
Or, add all the ingredients to a small blender and blend until smooth.
Chop the avocado first so the mixture comes together quickly.
We think the recipe is perfect as it is. However, it is possible to change up the ingredients. Here are a few ideas:
#1 You can use fresh garlic instead of garlic powder. Be sure to use a blender so it is evenly distributed and also chop it finely first. Half a clove is normally enough. Fresh garlic is more intense than the powder.
#2 Fresh parsley always works well with tahini and lemon. Feel free to add 1-2 chopped tablespoons into the spread.
#3 Other spices that we have tried include cumin and chili flakes, which add more Middle Eastern flavor.
#4 If you want to try the recipe without the tahini, add the same amount of extra virgin olive oil instead for the same creamy texture.
I don't recommend replacing the lemon juice with lime. It does not go well with tahini.
Here is where you can use avocado spread:
- On toasted bread (we love it topped with chopped tomatoes and fresh parsley)
- As a spread on sandwiches (it is great with sliced cheese and cured ham)
- As a topping for salmon steaks or white fish
- With tortilla chips or seeded crackers
- As a dip for chopped vegetables, together with cauliflower hummus.
Storage And Meal Prep
Avocado spread lasts in fridge for up to 3 days. I like to store it in a bowl covered with clingfilm touching the spread, so there are no air pockets. I find this keeps it fresher than just using an airtight container.
Give it a stir before you use it to freshen it up.
If you have more than one avocado to use up, simply double or triple the recipe and make a larger batch.
More Easy Avocado Recipes
There are so many wonderful ways to enjoy avocado, from savoury to sweet. Here are some of the recipes that I make all the time:
Tried this recipe? Give it a star rating below!
Easy Avocado Spreadfrom Sugar Free Londoner
Note: The servings slider only changes the first amount in each line and not any subsequent amounts. Please make your own calculations where necessary.
- Place the avocado flesh in a bowl and mash well with a fork.
- Stir through the tahini, lemon, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Or, add all the ingredients to a small blender and blend until smooth.