Refreshing, light and naturally sweetened: Espresso Choc Chip Froyo is a perfect dessert for grown-up frozen yoghurt lovers. Paleo-friendly and vegan!
I am a big fan of 2-in-1. Take shampoo. Do I need the discussion with my son that his hair looks shinier if he uses conditioner? The easy solution is to buy a 2-in-1 shampoo. Hair is manageable, I don’t have to sound like a broken record and he’s out of the shower quicker ergo has more time for the truly important things in a boy’s life.
Of course, it doesn’t stop at shampoo. There’s the washer-dryer. What a brilliant invention; not only a time-saver, but also essential for anyone who lives in an apartment where space comes at a premium. And what about the children’s bike seat that transforms into a buggy? The bowl that is also a strainer? The 2-in-1 ironing board and stepladder? The hat with built-in headphones? And, of, course, the ultimate product for new mothers: the baby mop outfit. Just let your little one loose on the floor and it’ll do all the cleaning for you. It’s nothing short of genius.
This list is not confined to gadgets. Think about food. It’s a beautiful thing to sit down for a lazy three course lunch or treat yourself to a tasting menu. Forgetting about the 1000 things that are on your to-do-list and just savouring every bite and a glass of something, enjoying the good company. Unfortunately, for most people, this is not something that happens every day. Unless you are French, of course, impeccably cultured and with a set of priorities we all can only dream of.
We are busy, folks! That’s why one pot dishes were invented. And super-fast, super-charged breakfasts like these Grab and Go Low Carb Muffins. The 2-in-one meal rules!
I have taken this nifty time-saving idea over into the dessert space. My ideal scenario would be to enjoy a (sugar free) dessert followed by a nice strong espresso. So seriously civilised. Alas, when duty calls, this is your ideal 2-in-1 compromise: Espresso Choc Chip Froyo. The frozen yoghurt that’s an espresso at the same time. Anyone who wants to give me an award for this please step forward.
Espresso Choc Chip Froyo is
- naturally sweetened with banana
- incredibly tasty
- vegan and paleo-friendly as it is made with coconut yoghurt
- will save you the time it takes to drink that extra espresso, which you can use for other useful things like…spending more time in the shower massaging in that salon hair mask you hide from your daughter?
You might think this is an adult-only dessert, but I can vouch it’s a winner with kids. If yours are at an age where you don’t feel evil and careless if you let them taste a sip of coffee, make some for the whole family. My children (10 and 12) were all over this froyo. Is 10 too young to have a coffee dessert? Any French people out there? Comments, please! I implicitly trust your cultural advice 🙂
- 1 large banana or 2 small, cut into slices and frozen
- 100g coconut yoghurt, plain (I used brand called CoYo, which is sugar free - and no, I am not getting paid for mentioning them)
- 1 shot extra-strong espresso, cooled
- 1 handful cacao nibs
- Blend the frozen banana slices with the coconut yoghurt and the cooled espresso.
- Stir in the cacao nibs.
- Serve immediately
- If you prefer to prepare this dessert ahead, make sure you take it out of the freezer 15 minutes before serving so it has time to soften.