Sweet, tangy and irresistibly delicious. This sugar free and vegan raspberry coconut fool will tantalise your tastebuds.
Simple pleasures are the best. Because they do not require major effort and yet are majorly satisfying. They are like an unexpected gift, don’t have to cost a penny and take you by surprise. As the writer Paul Coelho puts it, “It’s the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary.” Incidentally, he has written some extraordinary books which I can thoroughly recommend. Apart from reading a really good book, here are some other very simple things that make me immensely happy:
- Getting into a bed with freshly washed sheets
- Driving with the windows down
- Running through a sprinkler (somehow, this happens every summer. You should try it!)
- The feeling after a great workout
- Holding hands with a loved one
- Seeing the first leaves on a tree in spring
- That first glorious sip of coffee in the morning
- Blowing bubbles with small children
- Bringing a smile to someone’s face
- Warm towels fresh out of the dryer
To take this back into the kitchen, let me clarify: It does feel very satisfying indeed to bake a sponge, let it cool, cut in in half, mix a filling, mix a topping, assemble the thing, crown it with whichever decoration you have dreamed up and bathe in the ah’s and ooh’s when you serve it. That is a big, fat, special pleasure. But. Not simple!
This raspberry coconut fool is so easy to assemble that a child could do it. In fact, if you have any to hand, you should definitely delegate it to them. Which would make this dessert doubly pleasurable. A win-win on both sides actually: YOU get to relax and eat a lovely dessert, THEY enjoy being important and creating something… and get to eat a lovely dessert. What’s not to like?
It is a dessert delicious enough to serve at a dinner party as you can easily prepare it in advance and store in the fridge. (If you want, you can create beautiful swirly patterns by sticking a knife into the raspberry layer and combine it with the coconut. = extra wow factor) But as so often, the essential element of a simple pleasure is spontaneity and surprise. So, to help you enjoy a raspberry coconut fool when inspiration strikes, you should always keep a can of full fat coconut milk in the fridge. It will help it to harden sufficiently to have a wonderful creamy texture which is needed for this dessert. Trust me. There is one in my fridge right now. Just in case.
The raspberry coconut fool is
- quick to assemble
- tangy but sweet
- sugar free
- low carb
- highly nutritious and rich in fibre, vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6 and minerals including iron, selenium, sodium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorous – yes, coconuts are a true superfood!
- a glorious moment of happiness
Raspberry Coconut Fool
- 2 x 400 ml can of full fat coconut milk cooled
- 400 g raspberries
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tsp erythritol or sweetener of choice
- extra raspberries coconut flakes of chopped pistachios to decorate
- The coconut milk cans need to be cooled in the fridge, preferably over night. This gives the majority of the liquid a creamy consistency
- Scoop the firm bits out of the can and leave the liquid leftovers. They can be a nice addition to your next curry or added to your morning smoothie/porridge.
Blend the coconut with half the raspberries, vanilla and 2 tsp sweetener
Puree the remaining raspberries. Add 1 tsp sweetener if you like a bit more sweetness
- Layer the mixtures in small glasses
- Decorate with extra berries, coconut flakes or chopped pistachios