These keto walnut cookies are a super healthy take on the Italian classic Dolci di Noci. They contain only 4 ingredients and are ready in 15 minutes.
I love a fancy cake. But secretly, my favourite keto dessert are cookies. They are so easy and quick to make. Plus, they have a handy in-built portion control.
I created these low carb walnut cookies after a trip to Italy many years ago, where I was introduced to dolci di noci - the classic Italian walnut cookie.
Since it contains only 4 ingredients, it was very simple to turn the original recipe into a sugar free version!
This is actually one of the first cookie recipes I published on the blog. I have just added step by step images and more tips and tricks to the post (November 2022).
This means I've just had the best day ever. Because I now have a portion of deliciously crunchy, nutty keto walnut cookies sitting right in front of me.
🌟 Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Easy to make - only 4 ingredients, no special equipment needed
- Quick - ready in 15 minutes
- Gluten free & dairy free
- Keto friendly - just 0.8g net carbs per cookie
- Great nutty flavor and crunchy texture
- Chopped walnuts - Make sure they are fresh! I pulsed mine in a food processor. You can also chop them finely with a knife. Or, put them in a plastic bag and crush them.
- Egg - Use either 1 medium egg or 1 large egg white. I tried both and preferred the taste with the whole egg. However, both work well.
- Powdered sweetener - Powdered erythritol, any erythritol blend such as Swerve or monk fruit sweetener, Bocha Sweet, allulose or xylitol. Make sure you are using a 1:1 sugar alternative.
This section contains step-by-step instructions and photos that show how to make this recipe. See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Step 1: Beat the medium egg or large egg white with powdered sweetener and cinnamon.
Step 2: Add the crushed walnuts and stir with a for or a spatula until a cookie dough forms. Taste and adjust sweetness if required.
Step 3: Form balls with your hands or use a cookie scoop. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Step 4: Bake in the oven until golden.
Don't over-process the walnuts! I like to leave some larger chunks. If the walnuts are coarsely ground, the cookies will be crunchier.
However, even if you blend the walnuts to a fine flour accidentally, the recipe will still work. It's quite forgiving.
Yes, walnuts are suitable for a keto diet. They are very low in carbohydrates. 1 ounce (30 grams) or 14 halves of walnut contain just 3.9g of carbs.
Yes, if you don't mind a little grittiness. I have made these cookies with Lakanto Gold, which is a granulated brown sugar alternative.
The egg is the binder in this recipe. You could try a mix of nut butter and flaxseed instead. Also, grind the nuts more finely.
Your walnuts are too coarse. Add a little almond flour or a pinch of coconut flour to fix it.
Here are ideas how you can change up the recipe.
Use different nuts. The recipe works with any nuts, such as almonds, pecans or hazelnuts. You can also use a mixture. Just don't call them keto walnut cookies 😊
Add butter. 1-2 tablespoons of melted butter gives the cookies a rich, buttery flavor.
Chocolate: Throw in some sugar free chocolate chips or coat the cookies in dark chocolate such as Lindt (90% cocoa solids).
Change the spices: Try vanilla extract or a pinch of salt
Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. You can keep them either at room temperature or in the fridge.
All low carb cookies freeze well. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Want more treat ideas? Take a look at my Keto Cookies cookbook.
Tried this recipe? Give it a star rating below!
Keto Walnut Cookiesfrom Sugar Free Londoner
Note: The servings slider only changes the first amount in each line and not any subsequent amounts. Please make your own calculations where necessary.
- Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius / 350 F electric or 160C / 320F fan.
- Beat the egg with the sweetener and cinnamon until smooth.
- Stir in the ground walnuts. Taste and add more sweetener if preferred.
- Form cookie dough balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.