An indulgent and deliciously moist dessert: These Sugar Free Coconut Blondies are low carb, gluten and grain free. Happy days!
Coconut flour rocks. Want to know why?
First of all, because you can make these Sugar Free Coconut Blondies with it, which are my new secret weapon. When this household fancies a sweet treat, that’s what I whip up. Five minutes prep, 20 minutes oven, bingo. Sweet heavens, let me be perfectly honest here and not modest at all – they are divine.
But there is more. Sugar Free Coconut Blondies are not only delicious, they are also seriously nutritious (oh my, that even rhymes!).
Here’s a quick coconut flour overview:
It is one of the healthiest flours on the market. Grain flours contain gluten which is difficult to digest for some people. Because coconut flour is not a grain-based flour, it is non-inflammatory and low in carbs. I have explained in my Low Carb Pizza Bites post why I am no fan of wheat. If I buy or make bread for the rest of the family, it’s either spelt (an ancient form of wheat – check out my Super Speedy Spelt Bread) or a really dark variety such as rye.
It aids the metabolism. Coconut flour contains high levels of healthy saturated fats. These improve the metabolism and are used for energy as opposed to being stored in fat tissue.
It is high in fibre. The 61% dietary fibre that coconut contains makes it very satiating. As fibre isn’t absorbed by the body, a portion of the calories and carbohydrates found in coconut flour aren’t used.
It helps with maintaining a stable blood sugar level. Coconut flour is low in carbs and has a low GI, which means it doesn’t send your blood sugar sky-high.
A little goes a long way. Coconut flour looks pricey at first glance, but you only need a small amount as it is super absorbent. For example, in this Low Carb Waffles recipe I only used 4 tablespoons.
Do you need more reasons for making Sugar Free Coconut Blondies?
Well, there’s the brilliant name as well. Decided on by my lovely Instagram followers. Thanks for your input, everyone!
An indulgent and deliciously moist dessert: These Sugar Free Coconut Blondies are low carb, paleo, gluten and grain free. Happy days!
5 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
5 based on 2 review(s)
- 100g coconut flour (1 cup)
- 100ml melted coconut oil (1/2 cup)
- 6 eggs
- 100 ml almond milk, unsweetened (1/2 cup)
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp granulated erythritol or xylitol sweetener
- handful of shredded coconut
- optional: handful of cacao nibs or chopped dark chocolate (85% cocoa or above)
- Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius (fan-assisted ovens: 160 Celsius) and grease a small rectangular baking tin
- In a large bowl, whisk together coconut oil, vanilla extract, eggs and almond milk.
- Add the dry ingredients - coconut flour, baking powder and sweetener. Mix until just combined and the batter is smooth.
- If using chocolate, gently fold in the chopped pieces, reserving a few tablespoons for sprinkling on top if desired.
- Sprinkle the shredded coconut on top
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until edges are golden brown and a knife comes out with a few crumbs attached. The batter might look like it's not cooked all the way but it will be. It's important not to over-bake as no one likes dried out blondies!
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes so that they settle a bit, then cut into 16 squares.