Chorizo Egg Muffins are an easy to make, great on-the-go-breakfast you can make ahead. Gluten free, low carb. These muffins need to me made. End of story.
I live in London, which means I NEED to talk about the weather. It’s a compulsory national habit, a bonding ritual with fellow sufferers. Great conversation starters are “Isn’t it a grey day today, dear?”, “A bit on the chilly side, don’t you think?” or simply “Gosh, this rain!” (shakes head), followed by the inevitable “It’s good for the plants though, we really needed it!”
Yesterday though. What was that? Sunshine followed by clouds followed by hail followed by SNOW (!!!) followed by wind followed by rain followed by…. I get tired just thinking about it. Londoners will be talking about this for DAYS!
I decided to retreat to my happy place and bring some Ibiza vibes into my kitchen. We lived on the island for a year, nurturing our midlife crisis (and what a brilliant midlife crisis it was!) and picked up a whole bunch of delicious recipes that still warm our bellies and souls. Golden rule no 1: Any dish with chorizo is awesome!
Breakfast on the terrace, shaded by a sun sail…. oh, life was good!
Don’t get me wrong. Life is still good. Just a bit…wetter.
These brilliant little chorizo egg muffins are a delicious start to the day and will keep you going until lunch. They are
- gluten free
- low carb
- perfect for on-the-go
- easy to make ahead
- great hot or cold
- perfectly formed
It’s worth it to get a decent cooking chorizo ring from the butcher as the supermarket brands often have a lot of sugar and preservatives in them. With a minimum of prep, you can make a large bunch which you can store in the fridge for a few days. Then, all you have to think about in the morning is to make your coffee. Job done, belly happy.
These Chorizo Egg muffins are easy to customize (try them with bacon, or add your favourite veggies – bell peppers work well) and almost impossible to mess up. They are very forgiving that way. Let me know your favourite combos!
Guess what I had for breakfast this morning?
- 16 eggs, large
- 100g cooking chorizo, chopped
- 100g parmesan or strong cheddar, grated
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- handful of parsley, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 175 degrees Celsius
- Chop and fry chorizo and spring onions until browned. Add some garlic if you wish.
- Whisk eggs and cheese together (reserve some cheese to sprinkle on top of the muffins) and pour into muffin form. I used a silicone mould which I also greased lightly with olive oil as I absolutely hate my muffins getting stuck
- Evenly add the fried chorizo and spring onions. Sprinkle some cheese on top of each muffin
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a fork comes out clean