This keto potato salad is quick, simple and super-tasty! The low carb replacement for potatoes is no other than... cauliflower! This recipe offers all the flavor of classic potato salad without the carbs.
Keto recipes are all about being a bit creative. Of course this mock potato salad does not contain a single potato. But, you will not miss it at all!
This salad makes a regular appearance in our house. My kids like it, and I've served it many times when we've had friends over for a barbecue or at parties.
It is also a great dish to take along to a picnic.
Carbs In Potato Salad
Potatoes are starchy and high in carbs and sugars. Therefore, we avoid them on a ketogenic or low carb diet. 100 grams of potato salad with mayonnaise contains 15 grams of carbs, and you'd probably consume twice that amount in a decent portion.
This cauliflower potato salad, on the other hand, has only 4.7 grams of net carbs per generous portion!
Cauliflower - The Mock Potato
In this salad, the key is to get a similar texture to potatoes. We achieve this by cooking the cauliflower for longer We want it to be soft and fluffy, just like potatoes.
I am also breaking the cauliflower into small florets. This way, the salad also looks more like a real potato salad and less like a cauliflower salad.
Once you've added all the other ingredients of a classic potato salad (I'm using my 5 Minute Keto Mayonnaise), it's easy to forget that your keto potato salad is made with cauliflower!
These are the ingredients you need for low carb potato salad:
- Cauliflower - the fresher, the better. Once it's been lingering in your fridge, it will taste more pungent and intense and just not as neutral any more. We need it to be a blank canvas so it can be disguised as a potato. This is only possible when it's fresh!
- Mayonnaise - I made my own, but you can also use ready-made mayonnaise. Look out for keto mayo brands. They use avocado oil or olive oil in place of vegetable oil.
- Dijon mustard - or another yellow mustard
- Apple cider vinegar - This is my go-to vinegar. It is mild and delicious. You can use white wine vinegar instead. Just be sure to halve the amount as this is sharper in taste than apple cider vinegar.
- Seasonings - You'll need paprika to give the salad colour, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Add-ins - My faves are spring onion (also called scallions), hard-boiled eggs and fresh chopped chives
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
This section contains step by step instructions and photos that show how to make the recipe.
Let's make a keto potato salad! Here are the basic steps. For detailed instructions and nutrition info, scroll down to the recipe card.
Remove the leaves and stalk from the cauliflower. Break into florets, chop into small florets and cook them according to your preferred method. Allow to fully cool.
Whilst the cauliflower is cooking, hard-boil the eggs. Let them cool, then peel and chop them.
Mix the dressing ingredients together in a bowl.
Add the cauliflower to the mayonnaise and stir through the spring onion, chives and eggs. Option to add more seasoning to taste.
Cauliflower cooking methods
Heat a pan with 2 cups of water, bring to the boil on a medium heat and boil (covered with a lid) for 4-5 minutes. Drain the water. Place on kitchen paper and pat dry as much as possible to remove any water but without smashing the cauliflower.
Place the cauliflower in a steamer with 2 inches of water in the bottom of a pan. Add the steamer with cauliflower and steam with the lid on for approximately 5 - 7 minutes then follow the steps in the boil method.
Add the florets to a heatproof bowl with 1 tablespoon of water. Heat on high for 8-10 minutes then follow the steps in the boil method.
Place on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Roast with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and pinch of salt. 400F / 200C / 180 fan for about 20 - 25 minutes or until slightly golden. Remove from the oven and allow to fully cool.
Note: If you decide to roast the cauliflower in the oven, it will take on a heartier, slightly nutty flavour. This means it will taste more like cauliflower and less like potato. I love the salad this way, too, but it'll be more of a cauliflower salad than anything else!
Less calories: For a lighter version, replace half of the mayonnaise with Greek yogurt or sour cream.
Change the herbs: Parsley or dill would also work well in the dressing.
Add crunch: I sometimes add sugar-free pickles (cornichons) or chopped celery.
I often serve keto potato salad the German way with Frankfurter sausages. Of course, it works well with any grilled meat or fish.
You could also enjoy it as a side to a keto hot dog or burger.
Store low carb potato salad in the fridge for 2-3 days. After that, the cauliflower starts to release liquid and won't taste fresh any more.
This recipe is not suitable for freezing.
More Keto Cauliflower Recipes
Tried this recipe? Give it a star rating below!
Keto Cauliflower Potato Saladfrom Sugar Free Londoner
Note: The servings slider only changes the first amount in each line and not any subsequent amounts. Please make your own calculations where necessary.
- 1 large head of cauliflower 500g florets
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise 160g
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ - ½ teaspoon paprika to taste
- ⅓ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅓ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper or to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1 spring onion finely chopped (15g)
- 1 tablespoon chives finely chopped
- Remove the leaves and stalk from the cauliflower. Break into florets and chop into small florets about 1 - 1.5 cm.
- Heat a pan with 2 cups of water, bring to the boil on a medium heat and boil (covered with a lid) for about 4 - 5 minutes. Drain the water. Place on kitchen paper and pat dry as much as possible to remove any water but without smashing the cauliflower. Allow to fully cool. IMPORTANT! (See steamer, microwave and oven method in the recipe notes).
- Whilst the cauliflower is cooking, boil the eggs until hard boiled. 13 - 15 minutes. Run under the cold water tap to cool down and peel. Chop into chunks.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add the cauliflower to the mayonnaise and stir through the spring onion, chives and eggs. Option to add more seasoning to taste.