A fabulously healthy treat: These delicious Low Carb Banana Muffins are grain free, sugar free and seriously nutrient-dense. This is feel-good snacking taken to the next level.
We’ve just returned from our summer holidays. Back at home in London, without sun, pool and the general feel-good-factor, I knew I had to bring the big guns in. You want peaceful silence and smiley faces all round? Plus that fab feeling when you’ve served up a bunch of healthy ingredients and everyone thinks it’s a real treat?
Make these Low Carb Banana Muffins. They are true sugar free baking magic.
Because this recipe uses almond flour and ground flax seed, the texture is a bit coarser than that of a wheat muffin. They are a brilliant nutrient-dense treat that won’t make you feel bloated the way a wheat muffin does. Plus they are actually good for you. Now, that’s what I call a win-win!
Hang on though – banana? Can I eat banana on a low carb diet?
Bananas contain the largest amount of carbs among fruits. In fact, they are made up almost completely out of water and carbs. One medium banana (7-8 inches long) contains about 10 calories, 25g of total carbs and 3 grams of fibre. Here’s an interesting infographic showing the carb content of fruits from low to high.
If you are on a moderate low carb diet you’ll aim to stay between 20-50 net carbs per day (you subtract the fibre content from the total carbs to calculate the net carbs. The fibre is non-digestible). This means banana is one of the fruits we generally avoid on a low carb diet.
How come these banana muffins are low carb?
Easy: There is only one banana in the entire recipe! As we distribute it here among 8 or 9 muffins, the carbohydrate content of each muffin is quite low. The banana flavour is so strong you can taste it with every bite!
Top tip: Make sure the banana you use is VERY RIPE. The browner the peel the better! Ripe bananas have WAY more flavour than the ones with yellow or – God forbid – green peel.
Try my other low carb muffin recipes!
Tried this recipe? Give it a star rating below!
Low Carb Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 200 g / 2 cups almond flour or ground almonds
- 30 g / 1/4 cup flaxseed ground
- 1 banana very ripe
- 2 eggs large
- 120 ml / 4 ounces almond milk
- 60 ml / 2 ounces coconut oil
- 3-4 tbsp granulated sweetener depending on your sweet tooth
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 40 g cacao nibs or chopped dark chocolate, 85-90% (1/3 cup)
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- optional: 1 tsp mixed spice
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius / 356 Fahrenheit.
- Mix the banana, eggs, almond milk and oil in a food processor or with a blender.
- Add the dry ingredients: the ground almonds, ground flaxseed, erythritol, baking powder and spices. Blend until thoroughly combined
- Lastly, stir in the cacao nibs (or chopped dark chocolate)
- Fill into a muffin tin lined with paper cups. If you don't have any to hand, make sure the tin is really well greased. My mix made 8 muffins, but I did "try" the dough quite a few times. Yours might yield 9!
- Bake at 180 degrees 25-30 minutes or until browned on top. You can also test with a cocktail stick or a knife - if they come out dry, the muffins are done.
The nutrition information below is based on using cacao nibs, which have no added sugar at all. If you prefer to choose dark chocolate, the sugar content would increase depending on the cocoa content. The higher the cocoa content, the less sugar! Make sure you choose a chocolate with at least 85% cocoa.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one of these links and purchase a product, I may earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Sugar Free Londoner.