The holy grail of foodie goodness: Vegetables for breakfast! These Spinach and Chive Mini Quiches are easy to make and almost too good to share.
How handsome are these little guys? Don’t they look sooo yummy?
These veggie wonders are the holy grail of breakfast goodness: Vegetables to start the day! And eggs! A generous portion of tangy, mature cheddar! And as an interesting twist to perk up your taste buds… chives, a hint of garlic and some nutmeg. I did name them “quiches”, as “muffins” to me has a ring of containing something sweet (like my coconut blueberry muffins), even though they are made in a muffin tin. Therefore, I present you with another benefit: These are crustless quiches, totally gluten free!
Now, we could have put the same ingredients in a pan and just scrambled them up. Which would taste exactly the same, and is therefore a perfectly reasonable option for a weekday meal.
On a Sunday morning though, this is how it could be:
You quickly throw together the ingredients, see method below, and stick them in the oven.
You do this very quietly, as you do not want to wake up the kids. They are lovely, but sometimes it’s so good when they are pottering away in their rooms. You do not want to know what they are doing. Shut them out of your mind (depending on kid age).
You make coffee, tea, smoothie, whatever is your favourite morning poison.
You lay the table, positioning yourself so yesterday’s mess is not within your field of vision.
Some light, moody Jazz could work here. Or just beautiful silence. You’re the boss.
While you take in the delicious smell of the quiches, you get your newspaper/iPad/novel ready. Don’t worry about those people who make you feel bad about reading while you are eating. They are right, but you will eat a little, look around a little (the clean part of the room, remember!), read a little. You will take your time. It is Sunday, and you can do what you want!
You sit down with your beautiful Spinach and Chive Mini Quiches and enjoy your peace.
Of course, if you are not the first one to wake up, you’ll just have to share the moment. In that case keep some in the fridge for lunch on Monday.
Spinach and Chive Mini Quiches
- 8 eggs
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 80 g / 3/4 cup extra mature cheddar parmesan would also work
- chopped chives ca 3-4 tbsp
- 1 garlic clove minced
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a spoonful of olive oil in a pan with your minced garlic. I like to cheat and use garlic paste. No smelly fingers!
- Wilt the spinach in the pan. This takes 1-2 minutes.
- Grate your cheese or be lazy like me and let the food processo do the work.
- Whisk your eggs, but don't overdo it - you don't want a fluffy mess.
- Add the cheese, spinach and the chopped chives to the mixture and season. Give it a little pulse in the mixer if you like.
- Fill into your muffin tin - I use a silicone mould which makes it super-easy to get your work out in one piece once it's done - and bake at 220 Celsius for 15 minutes until set and golden around the edges.