An insanely satisfying grab and go snack for busy days: These grain free, low carb and sugar free apple cinnamon granola bars can be made in advance. Chewy, nutty and perfect for when you’re out and about.
Let me present you with a couple of scenarios.
- You’re running late in the morning. It’s either breakfast or bed hair.
- You’re stuck in traffic. Since, like, forever. Your tummy is rumbling so loud you have to turn the music up. You hate that song.
- You’re in the office and just want to get one more thing done. It takes forever because, to be honest, who can concentrate when they’re starving.
- You are out with the kids. They are badgering you for pizza, donuts, candy floss. The little one has a tantrum and throws himself on the floor. You do the same.
Friends, all these situations can be saved with my apple cinnamon granola bars.
Seriously. I used to buy ready-made granola bars, thinking they were a healthy choice. If I had bothered to read labels then, I might have noticed they were basically sugar bombs. There are a small number of low carb options out there which taste good, but of course, there is a price tag that comes with them.
It was time to make my own granola bars. To be organised, just this once. And enjoy that wonderful feeling of being PREPARED.
Many low carb granola bar recipes use fibre syrup, which is not easily available in the UK. Therefore, I decided to use egg white and flaxseed as a binder. The apple and cinnamon give the taste and the nuts and seeds…give you the energy.
This recipe is easily customisable – you could use any nuts or seeds you have available. I found adding either hazelnuts or walnuts give the bars more depth in taste. I don’t like my food very sweet these days, so do make sure to taste the mix before baking and adjust the sweetness if necessary.
Got granola on your mind now? Why not double up and make some peanut butter granola while you’re at it – for those days when you CAN sit down and eat breakfast in peace.
With bed hair or without.
An insanely satisfying grab and go snack for busy days: These grain free, low carb and sugar free apple cinnamon granola bars can be made in advance. Chewy, nutty and perfect for when you're out and about.
5 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
5 based on 6 review(s)
- 1/2 medium dessert apple (80g)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp granulated erythritol (I used Sukrin Gold)
- 1/3 cup flaxseed (30g)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (30g)
- 1/3 cup almonds (50g)
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts (50g)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice/pumpkin spice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160 Celsius/320 F.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or use the attachment of your stick blender and blend until it's mostly smooth with a few larger pieces of nuts and seeds. Taste and add more sweetness if needed.
- Flatten the mix on a baking sheet lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool completely before cutting with a sharp, non-serrated knife.